Complete France Forum

If you can find an analogue box it's still there on Astra 1 at 19 deg E,  but its days there are probably drawing to a close.   This version has an English sound track if you have a play with the audio subcarriers.  11259 MHz V.

There is also a free to air digital version on Astra 1 (12226 MHz H  27500 3/4) but this may well only have a German sound track - I haven't checked it out.

Check out all the satellites on http://www.lyngsat.com/europe.html

[quote user="Martinwatkins"]Ah but you're paying for the French version via your abonnement.....[/quote]

Ah, but not the one in German.  The CS one is part of the basic

package.  We very frequently watch about 10 canals.  What is

that line about 'lunches'?

No indeed the German digital one is free.   But I had already mentioned that one in the previous post....

It is frustrating that - simply because of the way German TV is set up - that they enjoy so many channels FTA when us UK-based mugs (at least those who stray no further than Sky) find that they are chargeable,  unless that is we go out and get a dish that accesses satellites other than Astra 2.  

[quote user="Martinwatkins"]

No indeed the German digital one is free.   But I had already mentioned that one in the previous post....

It is frustrating that - simply because of the way German TV is set

up - that they enjoy so many channels FTA when us UK-based mugs (at

least those who stray no further than Sky) find that they are

chargeable,  unless that is we go out and get a dish that accesses

satellites other than Astra 2.  

[/quote]

Sigh!  Life CAN be cruel!  We have one dish with two LNBs.  We get a few Brit channels but don't watch them.

[quote user="Martinwatkins"]Just like us in the UK,  where the

mental stimulation of following French TV beats the comatose-inducing

effects of the stuff we can get on an ordinary UHF

aerial!    Most of the time at least....[/quote]

I have an analogue dish, LNB and decoder you (or anyone else) can have if you want it.

Martin,

most of those German Channels you lust after are the equivalent of ITV - ie regional channels only.  However unlike ITV, there are no central slots where every channel broadcasts the same program - each company is essentially independent.  It is only with the coming of cable and then satelite that we can get the range of channels - before that it was only 3! Worse than the UK.

The other similarity with ITV is that most of what is broadcast is C**p. (Sorry should have said not to my taste.) 

Not sure I was lusting after them,  I've had them since 1995!   But what I was getting at is that the satellite FTA German market developed quickly - none of this "we mustn't broadcast it to the rest of Europe in case the rights people throw their toys out of the pram";  (cf ITV which could have been FTA on 2D from the start,  but were brainwashed into thinking they must have Murdoch's videoguard in place).

Along with the German regional stations which you mention (which I thought were all loosely tied up with ARD,  and carry their own programming most of the day and evening) there are also all the RTL's aimed at Germany,  Vox and PRO7,  which mean a good range of films,  docs,  news,  etc,  all FTA.   Which is why the pay-TV operator (Premiere) is pretty small and keeps changing hands as its owners lose money on over-bidding for Sports rights.

Personally I find the German system rather more "generous" than Mr Murdoch's anglo-saxon alternative.   Nothing wrong with operating an efficient system as he does,  but it bugs me that he scrambles every last channel he can (such as Bloomberg,  Eurosport,  TVEi) which are all available FTA if you care to stick up more dishes.....

But I don't doubt you that it was a slow start before satellite came along

Archived