Complete France Forum

Second hand sky box advice needed please...

I have been looking for a second hand sky box and a friend can sell me

their's for £35.  It is 10 months old and a Panasonic TU-DSB30

make complete with card, lead, remote control etc.  Is this a good

make ?  Will it work in France (no way to test it before I get it

over here) ? 

[quote user="miaviv"]I have been looking for a second hand sky box and a friend can sell me

their's for £35.  It is 10 months old and a Panasonic TU-DSB30

make complete with card, lead, remote control etc.  Is this a good

make ?  Will it work in France (no way to test it before I get it

over here) ? 

[/quote]

Yes it's a good make and works well here in France.

The only possible problem is the age of the box. Under most Sky contracts you have to keep the box connected to the phone line for a minimum of 12 months. If it is not currently connected, or you connect from France (receiving broadcasts overseas is against Sky's terms and conditions), Sky will be able to tell this, and could well cancel the card, meaning you will only be able to receive BBC and various free to air channels. So make sure there are no contracts still in force.

I'm a bit worried as I have already had one of these boxes, which

worked for 30 seconds when I plugged it in and then nothing !  I

paid £20 for this one, I'm just reluctant to be "had" again.  If

my Dad can plug it in in the UK is this a good test or is this

irrelevant regards to how it might work in France ?

Thanks

[quote user="miaviv"]I have been looking for a second hand sky box and a friend can sell me their's for £35.  It is 10 months old and a Panasonic TU-DSB30 make complete with card, lead, remote control etc.  Is this a good make ?  Will it work in France (no way to test it before I get it over here) ? 
[/quote]

Hi

We have this make and model of digi-box and it is excellent and works well in Brittany. The only thing I would say is that when we bought ours last year (second-hand) we were told it was about 5 years old. I am sure I read somewhere that they came out in 1999. They were replaced by the TU DSB 31 sometime ago but I cannot remember when. I am sure someone else on here will know better than me.

Sue

[quote]I have been looking for a second hand sky box and a friend can sell me their's for £35.  It is 10 months old and a Panasonic TU-DSB30 make complete with card, lead, remote control etc.  Is this a good make ?  Will it work in France (no way to test it before I get it over here) ?  [/quote]Are you sure it's only 10 months old? We had one just like that when living in the UK, supplied by Sky installer in 97. It packed up about 12 months ago, as it would not change channels, would freeze and not reboot for more than a few minutes. Now replaced... but the card is fine in the replacement box.

Never mind how old it is, the Panasonic boxes are probably the best ones available and that model is absolutely fine. At £35 including a remote and a card you are being offered a great bargain - buy it quick before they realise it's worth much more on ebay ! 

It will work absolutely fine in France.

If you don't want it then let me know, because at that price I would buy it to keep as a spare - I already have five Panasonic digiboxes in use.

yes of  Panasonic is a good make, my box worked perfectly and if you take an old sky card with you , you should be able to get all the free channels including bbc,itv,bbc2 etcetc,I have experienced no problem whatsoever , of course your dish has to be perfectly aligned , but if your property already has one then there should be no problem

billy10

Archived