Complete France Forum

Am I being too cautious? PayPal

This morning I received an email from PayPal asking me to up date my account. It all looks ok, but before I do, I feel I need to check to make sure this is not another scam.... You cant be too careful, can you! Has anyone else received an email from them requesting the same information???

Thanks.

[quote user="Harvey"]

This morning I received an email from PayPal asking me to up date my account. It all looks ok, but before I do, I feel I need to check to make sure this is not another scam.... You cant be too careful, can you! Has anyone else received an email from them requesting the same information???

Thanks.

[/quote]

It is another scam. Don't.

[quote user="Harvey"]Thanks for your replies, it IS ok, and not a scam, I did what Catalpa suggested, and all is well... I was only reading over the weekend about a scam claiming to be Barclays bank.... Thanks again[/quote]

Paypal (& Barclays & everyone else), claim never to send these emails. Period.

Ergo, they are ALL scams (and I doubt if Paypal/Barclays/CitiBank/....) would be interested in them.

The scammers usually set up a subdomain of a particular IP. The scammers also usually give you a tight deadline to give your account details.

For example, I had an 'update your account' type email allegedly from Paypal...the link was along the lines of (but this is only an example) : http://paypal.accountdetailsupdate.com/etc.etc. so it looks legitimate but if you look, the domain wasn't paypal it was a subdomain of the real IP address (in this example - accountdetailsupdate.com)...so be careful.

As Nick rightly says - Paypal claim never to send you these emails so if in any doubt contact Paypal (or whoever else) before doing anything! You can report these fake emails and IP addresses to Paypal, which I did at the time.

I suppose it depends on the information they were after but I was surprised to read that it was genuine. You were certainly right to be cautious. I would probably have deleted it without a thought, having had several approaches purporting to come from various banks.

I'm sure that it wasn't genuine.   I have had loads of these over the past few months and deleted them all without replying.   Last week I paid for something via Paypal with no problem.   If I had really had to 'update my account' to avoid losing it, surely it wouldn't have worked.......

Yes, you are all correct. I DID change my password, but via my PayPal account not from the link they gave me. It was only when I logged on again this evening, I read all your replies... As Russhouse stated, PayPal always uses your full name, the one that I am querring started Dear PayPal member... I cant believe how I fell for it...I am always so cautious..... Thank you.

As an aside - never click on the links in these emails - they often

take you to a page which will install a key stroke tracker on your

pc.  Then they can collect your personal details at a later date

without you realsing anything is amiss.

Hastobe

I have received in the past one genuine email from PayPal but it was plain text and had no clickable links whatsoever.

I always forward all suspicious emails to spoof@ebay.com or spoof@PayPal.com or spam@uce.gov

Whether they really do anything about them or not is another matter but at least PayPal and Ebay send me a thankyou.

Archived