Complete France Forum

Existing telephone line

Hello

We have a telephone line which has been disconnected (at the exchange) since we bought the house 3 years ago.  We want to get it re-activated.  We understand that France Telecom will need to inspect the line first - do they charge for this?

Also, we want to re-locate the internal socket to a more convenient place in the house.  Do FT do this work and do they charge for it?  It looks like this could be a DIY job - you can get the cable & sockets at the Brico.  However, we're a bit nervous about the "box" which connects the incoming line to the internal cable. Could there be problems here?

Thanks

[quote user="HELDAV"]Hello, We have a telephone line which has been disconnected (at the exchange)

since we bought the house 3 years ago.  We want to get it

re-activated.  We understand that France Telecom will need to inspect

the line first - do they charge for this?[/quote]
Yes they do. In 2003, they charged us €46.

[quote user="HELDAV"]Also, we want to re-locate the internal socket

to a more convenient place in the house.  Do FT do this work and do

they charge for it?
[/quote] Yes they do. I requested a quote in 2004 and they quoted about €180.

[quote user="HELDAV"]It looks like this could be a DIY job - you can

get the cable & sockets at the Brico.  However, we're a bit nervous

about the "box" which connects the incoming line to the internal

cable. Could there be problems here?
[/quote]No it's fairly easy. We had to modify ours as the FT guy had not fitted it for modem use, which requires more cables to be connected than a simple phone. We found a free little booklet made by Legrand (electrical manufacturers) in Bricorama which had diagrams for all sorts of conenctions, including telephone ones.

See here (sorry, there is no easy link). Scroll on the left to "je consulte les fiches conseils", click on Fiches cablages, then Les prises, then Prises téléphones and click on any image to open a pdf diagram of the phone connection.

From memory I was charged Euro 46 for reconnecting a telephone line which had only deactivated by FT that morning.  Dialed 142 ( or 141 ? ) was asked questions about who I was and if I had previously or still had a telephone in France. Remembered my date of birth and as I wanted prelevement from the same bank account had a working line within four hours. Slightly vague on details as talking French on the telephone seems to use up what little brain capacity I have. Might be worth trying dialing with your bank details to hand.

Also I believe FT's responsibilities end with the provision of a working socket in the the house and that they subcontract their instalations so you might be better of using a local qualified electrition for moving the sockets rather than paying FT to pay someone else although for single line extension they are straight forward.

Also if the FT socket is marked 'Tester' then if a phone is plugged in there no other phones in the hosue will ring

Archived