Complete France Forum

Problems with Word, Excel and Internet pages

For the last couple of days I've been having some serious problems with my computer.  I can't open any Word or Excel documents via the "file" button on the toolbar.  The only way I can do it is by going to Start and then into either My Documents or Recent Documents.  If I have an internet page open and try to type in a new page address either it won't accept it unless I do the whole http:// thing or sometimes as soon as I highlight the old address in the window it locks and then I have to close the programme.  When I close any of these programmes I get the Programme Not Responding box come up and I have to End Programme Now, close down the whole thing and start again.  I ran a virus check and I don't appear to have any virus's in the system.  Does anyone know what the proglem is?  I've rebooted, shut down the whole computer, switched it off and started again but I'm still getting the same problems.

What follows is largely guesswork. I am a mere computer user but the following may give you something to chew on until 3 busloads of experts arrive.

If you cannot open a .doc file or a .xls file by cliicking on it, but you can by opening the program first, then your 'file assocations' may be screwed. A re-install of Office might help.

but

Your problem with I.E. sounds more like a piece of malware (trojan/spyware/hi-jacker) which may be outside the scope of your anti-virus suite. Sometimes an on-line search can bring you to an on-line analysis page. These sometimes give you pointers to a cure. The last time my kids' machine was hi-jacked it took me 3 hours of fixing using more than one tool and a registry hack.

but, and

Your registry may be screwed ? Yoiu do have back-ups of important stiff don't you ?

ALSO

If you have access to newsgroups there are often some helpful souls who have the t-shirt and will guide you through. (be wary of the bar stool 'expert' though) .

Good luck.

Just out of curiosity, have you recently installed a new piece of software, i.e., anti-virus, firewall, etc.?  I was trying out Kaspersky and kept having crashes until I cleaned it off.  It's not that there was anything wrong with the Kaspersky itself, it just didn't appear to be compatible with my set up.

If  you're using XP, you can always try a system restore to a period before you started having a problem with your software.

PG

If you were using a Mac I would immediately suggest that you repair your permissions, which I think is like rebuilding the registry files on a PC. You might try that route, but I'm sorry, I have no idea of how to do it!

I once had a problem with Excel (bizarrely it was adding 7000 to the contents of every cell) and Microsoft helpline just advised me to uninstall it and reinstall, which worked.

Scarlett,

Been away for a few days.  Back to the problem - have you tried using the last good configuration, that is the last day everything worked OK.  I don't know what system you are using but if it is XP you could try:

Shut down the PC and click on Restart, then click OK

When you see select operating system hit the F8 key.

Use the arrow keys and highlight Last Known Good Configuarion.

and Enter.

You will loose any data/files saved after this date, so try and save any important data to CD/disc before you try.

I had this problem a year or so ago and after intermitent use, my PC finally gave up.  It had a cracked solder on the motherboard.

I would recomend that you down load   BELARC.  This free program lists all systems on your PC, and software with the software keys - you will need these keys if you want to install the software on any new PC you may wish to purchase.

Make sure you also have a good branded name anti virus software.

Best of luck.

KC

[quote user="Scarlett"]For the last couple of days I've been having some serious problems with my computer.  I can't open any Word or Excel documents via the "file" button on the toolbar.  The only way I can do it is by going to Start and then into either My Documents or Recent Documents.  If I have an internet page open and try to type in a new page address either it won't accept it unless I do the whole http:// thing or sometimes as soon as I highlight the old address in the window it locks and then I have to close the programme.  When I close any of these programmes I get the Programme Not Responding box come up and I have to End Programme Now, close down the whole thing and start again.  I ran a virus check and I don't appear to have any virus's in the system.  Does anyone know what the proglem is?  I've rebooted, shut down the whole computer, switched it off and started again but I'm still getting the same problems.[/quote]

It’s very difficult to tell if the two problems are related with the information given so far but there may be a solution, some of which have already been mentioned.

I would strongly recommend that before you try and of these suggestions you tell us the following.

What operating system are you using; if its Windows XP is it the home or professional addition and do you update it.

Also the versions of Word, excel and Internet Explorer. You can find this information by running the programs and then in the tool bar select Help and About.

You have AV software can you tell us which version please.

So you don’t forget please write down the date (and approximate time) of the last time you used the computer where it worked OK.

Archived