Complete France Forum

SkypeOut Mobile Calls

Hi, I have just downloaded and bought time on SkypOut and it looks amazing at 0.017 per minute. However, does anyone know what the charge is to a UK mobile from France and  vice versa?

I have searched the site and only see that it is the same price (0.017) to call a mobile in the US but it doesn't seem to mention the UK or France.

0.236€ per minute (http://www.skype.com/products/skypeout/rates/all_rates.html#listing-U).  By the way, its not 0.017€ for most people its 0.020€ (as most of us have to pay TVA/VAT and Skype tend not to quote rates TTC – as it appears cheaper).

If you want cheaper rates to the UK using tyour standard telephone, without having to open an account and without having to pay up-front then there are other operators.  E.g. TeleRabais 0.014€ per min off peak (0.028€ per min peak), 0.15€ (15 cents) per min to UK mobile TTC (see http://www.telerabais.com/rates.php).

I have no commercial connections to any of these companies and get no “kick-backs” no free minutes nor anything if you use any of these services

Ian

Thank you Ian, I could not find that information. I will have to look into the telerabais once I use up my £11.50 on SkypOut. Mind you that may take me a while at these rates [:)].

I am going to show my ignorance now [:$] but am I reading the rates right? Is 0.020 a 20th of a euro cent and 0.236 almost 2.5 cents?

0.236€ is 23.6 cents which is approx 16.2 pence.

Also, I made a typo in the rates to UK mobiles on TeleRabais.  Should be 0.15€ (15 cents) and not 0.015€ are I originally posted.  I’ve corrected the original post in case somebody looks and does not read further down.

Ian

Well, what can I say I should have done my maths, they mention that for £10 you get about 14 hours, duh! I can get near to 2.5 cents a minute on the land line and not have to wear bloody headphones and go through the computer.

Very disappointed[:(]  In any case, thank you for the information and setting me straight.

There are many internet telephone call providers that have been discussed at length in this section before if you trawl back through. You problem is that you didn't chose one of the cheaper or free ones that are available.

It used to be that the quality of the call differed greatly from provider to provider but many of the cheaper ones have now improved their quality to the extent that you can't distinguish voip calls from those made from land lines.

I personally use voipbuster because that was the one I settled on last year and I can't be bothered to keep chopping and changing as others come along. My main expenditure on calls is within France, to Spain and Australia ( all free ) and UK at 1 eurocent a minute plus VAT. I haven't paid France Telecom one cent in call charges for very nearly a year now.

Benjamin

You are right Benjamin, I didn't choose one of the cheapest ones and really didn't look into to it properly. I did do a search on this site and it appears Voipcheap http://www.voipcheap.co.uk/en/rates.html looks pretty good considering landline calls to the UK and France are free and UK mobile is 9.75 and France mobile 10.5. Will probably give them a try once I use my SkypeOut credit, a whopping £11.50 [:)].

Will also look into TeleRabais as Ian recommended in order to use the regular phone. However, will be mostly using during peak time so is unbelievable that the calls will be free on Voipcheap. Perhaps a little cynical, will believe it when I see it I guess.

Archived