I recently took a new PC to France, pre-loaded with XP Home, I

downloaded AVG once the PC was set up but cant find it anywhere, which

is v annoying as it took nearly 2 hrs of access time on my super slow

dial up connection. Similarly I downloaded Eudora but it will not run

at all. I have both on my PC here in Sharjah without any probs and the

only real difference I can think of is that I am running XP Pro here

not the home edition, same applies to laptop and work PC here. Son in

Law also cannot get Eudora to run with XP Home in UK. Has anyone got an

answer as to why XP home wont accept Eudora, is is a Microsoft block?

Is there a way round it?

Regards

Hi!

You're saying that you searched your XP partition and couldn't find AVG? Tres bizarre! Look on the AVG site again and you'll get the name of the executable you (theoretically) downloaded. Right click on the link and it should ask you where you want to save it. The default is where it probably is. If not, you'll have to bite the bullet...

I always default to the desktop where I can see it. Worth persevering because AVG is very good.

As for Eudora, can't speak for it, but no end of people I know use Thunderbird for email (or Kmail in Linux). And on the subject of alternatives, why not dump IE and give Firefox a go? Built in download managers, the lot. Take control of your browser, and your mail. [:D]

Steve, 

You could try using “Windows Search” to find where the downloaded file is saved.

Right click on the Start button then “Search…”  Change “Look in” to “Local Disk C” > Click on “When was it modified” and “specify the date” you downloaded the file > Click “Search”. 

You will see all files created / modified on the given date – you should be able to see the file you downloaded and the path to the file. 

You might be able to launch it by double clicking it, otherwise navigate to it through Windows Explorer. 

If all else fails, AVG anti-virus 7.1.385 is on the DVD that comes with Computer Buyer July edition along with some other useful stuff – if you’ve only got dial up, it might be worthwhile buying a PC mag every few months.

Thanks Thunderhorse and Ecossais,

I normally use firefox but hadn't got round to downloading it in France on the new PC. My default save location is the desktop but AVG just aint there. The Eudora thing is weird, the open box appears from the icon on the desktop but pressing 'run' does absolutely nothing.

Nice idea about the Computer Buyer Mag, I will ask daughter in UK to get one, I havent seen a copy here in the UAE for sale.

Thanks

Regards

Archived