Complete France Forum

sky digibox (again sorry but am confused)

We have a sky+ box at home and were planning to take it with us when we make the final move to France at the end of the year. While I know we can't receive all the channels we do now - will this allow us to receive the free to air digital channels including channels 4 & 5?

Is there any legal way of us continuing to receive other sky channels.....?

Am a bit techincally challenged when it come to the TV - so simple explanations / answers please

I have recently bought on ebay a no longer used sky box as the person who sold it had upgraded..£19 ..It came with the discontinued card in it  which I believe ( sombody will soon tell us otherwise ) acts as a free view card for all the channels you get in the UK..although you get most without a card ...I bought a  sat finder also on ebay for about a fiver ..(.connected in- line it sounds a high pitch tone when you find the signal )..and a white 80 CM dish from our  local tip also for a fiver .....even came with a wall bracket....it took me a couple of hours to set up but its all  fine  we seem to have all the free view  channels ...May I suggest you buy the co.ax cable locally as the brown stuff we use is not I believe acceptable in France..........it sounds like I am a tight old  git ...(.well apart from that.).but  believe in recycling  and am delighted with the reception we get in the South Vendee near La Tranche sur Mer . I dont think you will have a problem....if I can set it up anybody can do it .....the SKY box shows you the signal streangth and locks on when you get the dish lined up ....compass  ...point dish to south .... a.vertical dish .....point it well  to the East of South then move towards south to 23 degrees or so from   dead South and bingo....you should have found  the signal . thats all I did !   Good luck !

Yes you will receive all the free to air channels including 4&5.

I haven't done it myself but I believe that provided you continue to pay for your current Sky subscription, say by dd then you can continue to receive your current package.

You cannot do anything that involves an interactive telephone connection, for obvious reasons.

You could also possibly operate your contract through a relatives address, ie if they do not have a Sky package.

Thanks for setting my mind to rest - and as we're leaving our 2 sons who are in their early 20's in the UK - they've offered to be our formal address - so with any luck we can continue to see our sky package - which will suit my sports made hubby very well.....

Just in case you were not aware, do not disclose the fact to Sky that you are resident and viewing from France, otherwise you will have problems.

You should also inform your sons that 'mums the word', if you pardon the expression!

Archived