Complete France Forum

Email from Orange

Hello

Just had an email from Orange or so it says, about paying my internet access on line by CB.  Has anyome else had this email and does it look dodgy?

I usually pay my facture by cheque each month.

Any feedback gratefully received.

Since Wanadoo became Orange, I’ve suffered quite a few dodgy e-mails from various orange.fr sources.  Started a day or two after the change.  Also, there have been quite long duration security loopholes in Wanadoo systems (mainly via their operation in Portugal).  Basically, the names and account details of Wanadoo customers (including their passwords) were freely available to anybody, probably for around 2 years !!  I think Wanadoo have kept fairly quite about it sort of mumbling they are not sure what was available, nor to who, nor for how long.  Others are more suspicious.

Anyway – chances are that loads of people who should not know your e-mail address do know it.  the e-mail might be valid, maybe not.  If it were me I’d ignore it or maybe e-mail their support from their web page (not replying to the e-mail you received) asking them about changes to payment.  Using their web site (or e-mailing directly) will ensure your message is totally ignored.

I’ve not (yet) received such a message, but my payments are automatically taken from my account anyway so I doubt I would get one.

Ian

I have Orange internet and mobile both in the UK and France. If using a mobile, Orange offer you the free option of having an email account which can be accessed both from your mobile or via the web. Don't bother is my advice. You will get bombarded by very suspicious emails offering complete and utter c**p. All they want is for you to reply, ideally from your PC, and you then open the flood gates for all sorts of scams and phishing.

As a rule, anything to do with your account with regard to method of payment, will come by letter. The exception to this is when you access your account to make any changes on the Orange web site.

With regard to Deimos's entry reference security. Orange in the UK have been tasked to try and sort out a problem with regard to me not being able to access my on-line account. Their security is so tight, even Orange technicians cannot after 6 months grant me access. It is a problem they are aware of but hopefully will have sorted within the very near future.

Finally, don't forget that any on-line dealings with regard to payments, accounts, etc, should be secure. If the little padlock isn't showing - don't give out any details you might regret later. 

Hope this helps.

Archived