Complete France Forum

Windws XP in Franglais

I got a new computer about 18 months ago complete with Windows XP in French.  At first I tried to find a way to change it to English but gradually I learned to live with it.  Since I got it I have added a bit of this and subtracted a bit of that, usually in English for choice and today I had a bit of a giggle when I got a box saying, "Do you really want to quit this application"  and then the options "Oui" ou "Non".[Www]

Anne

Yes, we get the same thing when we run certain English language applications in our French WindowsXP operating system - quite funny!

Do you have a French keyboard?  It was a pain at first but after about a week I didn't notice the difference - and it's great to be able to use accented characters in a single strôke.

[geek]

[quote user="Cassis"]Yes, we get the same thing when we run certain English language applications in our French WindowsXP operating system - quite funny!

Do you have a French keyboard?  It was a pain at first but after about a week I didn't notice the difference - and it's great to be able to use accented characters in a single strôke.
[geek]
[/quote]

Yes, I have a French keyboard but I have told it that it is English and then I touch type as if it was.  However, if I want the accents etc, I click on the EN/FR  language thinggi to toggle to French, then back to EN when I am done.  Useful.

Anne[:D]

[quote user="tenniswitch"]I've done that, too, but in reverse (I have a US keyboard), but now I mostly rely on my  French spellcheck- getting really lazy![/quote]

There's a really neat spellcheck on the Google Toolbar.  It's there on IE and you can change the language with a click.

Anne

Edited.  Oh, re-read your post and I see what you mean.  Clever.  Must look into that.

Archived