Complete France Forum

Question about free.fr e-mail: deleting from server

I have a friend who uses free.fr and gets a lot of e-mail.  Occasionally, e-mail will get bounced back to the sender with this message:

"Hi. This is the qmail-send program at free.fr.
I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

<rhunetteter@free.fr>:
User's Disk Quota Exceeded:
Sorry, your message cannot be delivered as the recipient has exceeded
their disk space limit for email."

I know that I can set Outlook Express to delete my Wanadoo/Orange e-mail from the server after I've downloaded it.  Can this be done with free.fr also?

Well, has your friend actually tried it? Apparently not, so why not? How do they access their mail? Via Outlook Express, Thunderbird etc., or by logging on to free.fr?

It would be easier if your 'friend' posted their query here. It's not so easy when it's a second-hand problem. Plenty are willing to help if we know what has/hasn't been done.  [;-)]

My friend has done nothing, and isn't really apt to visit this forum.  I think in the past her husband has probably gone to the website and deleted the mail from her inbox.  If I were in France, I could help her without assistance, but I'm trying to help via very long distance (I'm in the US).

All I really need to know is whether, in general, it is necessary to go to her free messagerie to delete the old mail.  I know that some servers (gmail, for example) will save old mail on the website regardless of one's OE or Outlook settings.

I've been with Free.fr for months, get masses of BIG email attachments every day like photos etc..  I receive email from Free and other accounts through Outlook (not Outlook Express).  Never set anything up to delete mails from the Free server and never had any problems.

Yeah, I don't know why this is an ongoing problem for my friend.  If we haven't solved it by the time I get back in September,  I'll tackle it myself.  I use OE to download from 4 different servers so I think I should be able to figure her problem out in situ.

Archived