Complete France Forum

Maplin Free to Air Kit

Maplin have just sent me their Summer Sale catalogue. Includes a Free to Air kit for £80 (£73 with voucher supplied), consisting of receiver/LNB, 57cm dish, wall bracket, sat finder and cable. Anyone know if this will work in central France and enable me to pick up the main UK stations? Not interested in having interactive facilities but would be nice to have a change from basic French channels.

I can call into a Maplin store to ask them but don't know how reliable their advice would be concerning a French application.

Feel free to suggest something better, if available for around same price.

Sorry, I'm a complete dunce on this topic, as experts out there will no doubt already have gathered from the question.

You can buy a kit in france for about £50 (with 80cm dish) that will do the same.

With either kit you will not get ch4 or 5

get a secondhand box in the UK with a card and buy a dish in france, 80cm dish for around 30euros, the card will get you all the channels you need and no subscription.

If the maplin one is 12volt then buy it and i'll have it for the camper.

Lee

Thanks for replies.

Lee, when you say a "second-hand box" and a "card" - what box? what card? It's foreign language stuff to me I'm afraid.

When I know exactly what I should be looking for, where is best place to find it - classifieds in paper, perhaps, or - another mystery to me - Ebay? What's a reasonable price to pay for second-hand? Are there any ongoing charges?

I'll let you know about voltage of Maplin kit.

Look for a Sky digibox in loot, freeads, fridayads etc

I would say £30 is a reasonable amount to pay with a card, seen them for £10 - £60.

Or if you can't find one with a card, you can phone sky for a card (£20) don't tell them its for france and it will need activating which will mean setting it up in the UK or phoning from france on a mobile.

Should be a few on ebay if you don't mind buying unseen.

Or try

www.centresatellite.com they charge £275 all in, fitted etc but may depend on distance.

You need a blue sky card for ch4 & 5, lots of info on this forum, do a search

The card has to be paired to the box hence the activation.

Lee

Archived