Complete France Forum

Might be moving to France... Internet info needed please :-D

Hi,

I'm a self-employed computer technician here in the UK but am hoping to move the business to the South of France as I have been given an opportunity to do so by my cousin. My aim is to live somewhere around Nice so I wondered who provides broadband around the south? Also, what speeds are there in France and how much does it cost per month.

If you've had good and bad experiences with certain providers, please let me know so I can recommend the best service to my customers.

Also, how up-to-date are the French in comparison to England when it comes to electronics? My mum has an apartment in Spain and when I go there I sometimes can't belive how far behind they are in terms of technology when I go to Dixons equivalents there.

Hi

Check out this website for information on ADSL : http://www.degrouptest.com

You really need the local phone number, because ADSL speeds drop off with distance from the node. You can find local numbers here : http://www.pagesjaunes.fr/pb.cgi

Note that degroupe and/or cable are worth having.

Not noticed much difference between the level of technology between UK and France.

Peter

Its a continually changing picture and depends in details where you live. I'd suggest looking at the ISP sites that provide service in whatever area you are considering (the post above gives a link that allows you to tell which ISPs provide service, together with links to their sites and offers).

As you are a computer technician you should have no problems identifying what level of service you want/need and get the appropriate matching costs. To detail the various costs for the various ISP offerings here would be asking a bit much of people and it would probably be out of date by the time somebody had collected all the info. You know what speeds you want, where you will live, what "add-ons" you might want, what hardware you might need/already have, etc.

Regards

Ian

Archived