Complete France Forum

setting up espace client from outside France?

We have a land line telephone through France Telecom. When I told a friend, who also has a house in France, how practical the 'espace client' was, because (amongst other things) we can monitor our phone in France from our main residence outside of France, she wanted an espace client as well.

She did not manage to set up her espace client and asked if I could help her doing so from our home outside of France.

I don't remember how I set up our espace at the time, but imagine I must have done it in France, identifying myself as it were, by using the phone line I wanted an espace for.

Obviously I cannot use that phone line when not in France, so I imagine I cannot set up a espace client for my friend unless I am using her French phone line.

Is my assumption correct? It seems logical to me, for otherwise anyone knowing a phone number (and they are not exactly secret)could set up a compte.

Can anyone tell me if I can help my friend from a distance, or do I have to go to her French place and use the phone there?

[quote user="BJSLIV"]As Cassis says dead easy as long as you have the details of the last bill to hand.Vague memories of a PIN number coming through the post.[/quote]

Thanks, both of you. I don't remember any PIN number though.

[quote user="Adriana"][quote user="BJSLIV"]As Cassis says dead easy as long as you have the details of the last bill to hand.Vague memories of a PIN number coming through the post.[/quote]

[/quote]

I set up my FT espace client  via internet from the US; don't remember needing (or having) any PIN number either.  I think we just had the account number and amount of the last bill (and it seems to me that I read somewhere that, in fact, you could enter any amount and it would work) and then created my own user name and password.

What I do remember (bear in mind that this was a couple of years ago), was that the web pages kept timing out as I entered the data (a result of the combination of my slow translation of the French website + my slow typing), and I had to keep going back and redoing things.  Somehow along the way I managed (accidentally) to create 2 espaces clients- one in my husband's name and one in mine. 

Naturally, I haven't tried setting up an espace client lately, but, in general the FT website seems to work better now, so one probably would not run into this problem.

(Perhaps people are remembering needing a PIN number to set up their banking espaces clients?)

[quote user="tenniswitch"]

[quote user="Adriana"][quote user="BJSLIV"]As Cassis says dead easy as long as you have the details of the last bill to hand.Vague memories of a PIN number coming through the post.[/quote]

[/quote]

Somehow along the way I managed (accidentally) to create 2 espaces clients- one in my husband's name and one in mine. [/quote]

Hi Hi!

[quote]

Naturally, I haven't tried setting up an espace client lately, but, in general the FT website seems to work better now, so one probably would not run into this problem.

(Perhaps people are remembering needing a PIN number to set up their banking espaces clients?)

[/quote]

I will be having a go tomorrow. It a PIN is needed, I will report it here.

I the interests of scientific study I have just set up a FT espace client.  It took about a minute!  You input your phone number and the amount TTC on your last bill.  Next stage it asks you to make up a password and give an email address.  Click continue and that's it - done.

Connection to  France Telecom was troublesome today (Thursday 10/8) but nevertheless: an espace client was established pretty easily. Phone number and bill details were all that was required. No PIN. Confirmation followed quickly by e-mail.

[quote user="Adriana"]Connection to  France Telecom was troublesome today (Thursday 10/8) but nevertheless: an espace client was established pretty easily. Phone number and bill details were all that was required. No PIN. Confirmation followed quickly by e-mail.
[/quote]

Excellent!  Congratulations.

Archived