Complete France Forum

Disapearing icons, etc.

Yesterday, when I switched off our laptop it loaded and installed a load of updates, 18 I think. I have the M/soft auto update activated.

Today I powered it up and found that the favorites in Internex Explorer have vanished, all the links on the links bar had gone too. The quick links on the Task Bar had vanished and the icons on the task bar that show the programmes running have now gone into a very small space with 2 scrolling arrows, up/down.

Has anyone else had this problem? I am going to put the question to the lord and master Gates and his bunch to see if this is their idea of improvement, but I am posting here in the hope that I don't run out of breath waiting for a reply from M/soft.

John.

I've got Microsoft Windows and Office automatic updates - haven't had this problem on PC.  You could try restoring to the position before the updates were installed and see if that cures it.

Has Bill washed his hands of the business side yet?  I heard he was off to do charitable works.  In fact, I got an email from one of his new charity advisors in Cote d'Ivoire the other day.

[quote user="Jonzjob"]

Yesterday, when I switched off our laptop it loaded and installed a load of updates, 18 I think. I have the M/soft auto update activated.

Today I powered it up and found that the favorites in Internex Explorer have vanished, all the links on the links bar had gone too. The quick links on the Task Bar had vanished and the icons on the task bar that show the programmes running have now gone into a very small space with 2 scrolling arrows, up/down.

Has anyone else had this problem? I am going to put the question to the lord and master Gates and his bunch to see if this is their idea of improvement, but I am posting here in the hope that I don't run out of breath waiting for a reply from M/soft.

John.

[/quote]

How annoying and frustating for you.  I just finished downloading and installing 11 MS high priority updates/patches for each of our computers, fortunately without the problems you have encountered.  However, I do not have automatic update download/install enabled on our machines because I like to be a bit more in control of things.  One of the things I always do before downloading and installing these updates, etc., is to set a new restore point so that I can roll back my system if they cause a problem.

However, I seem to remember reading somewhere that Windows automatically sets a restore point before their automatic update installation, so you might check and see what the latest restore point is on your computer, and see if doing a system restore solves your problem.  If not, you may have to uninstall the updates manually (but before starting that you might want to check- either by googling the update numbers or on the MS website- to find out which are the most likely culprits) which would be a pain.

And for the future, you might want to disable the automatic update feature (or at least, set it to download and notify you, but not automatically install updates).  My strategy is to go to the MS Update website a few days after the monthly update release and use the "custom install" feature.  I generally download and install all the high priority security updates (certainly all the critical ones), but I am very selective about the lower priority software updates (read up on them via the MS links- a lot don't really apply to features I use) and I've never yet needed to download any of the hardware updates.

Hope this helps. 

Assuming, as I said earlier, that a system restore to the point prior to the last update solves the problem, you may want to set the update feature to notify you and to ask your permission before installing any updates in future.  Then follow the following procedure (DK if your Windows is English or French but same procedure) to avoid installing the update that caused your problem:

1. Lorsque l'icône Windows Update s'affiche dans la zone de notification,

ou lorsque vous êtes averti que des mises à jour sont prêtes à être

téléchargées, cliquez sur cette icône.

2. Examinez les mises à jour recommandées. Pour éviter de télécharger un

élément, désactivez la case à cocher située en regard.

3. Cliquez sur Télécharger. (Si vous avez désactivé toutes les cases à

cocher, cliquez sur Fermer.)

4. Dans la boîte de dialogue de confirmation, activez la case à cocher Ne

plus m'avertir à propos de cette mise à jour
    , puis cliquez sur OK.

When the Windows Update (little yellow shield) icon appears in the notification bar (at the bottom of the screen),

or when you are told that updates are ready to be downloaded, click on this icon.

1. Look at the recommended updates. To stop one being downloaded, untick the tick box beside it.

2. Click Download (to download any remaining updates). If you have unticked/disactivated all the boxes, Click Close.

3. In the dialogue box, tick Don't advise me about this update again, then click OK.
That's my bestest translation - the odd word may be slightly different in a real-life scenario.

Well done Sir. I'm now back at where I was yesterday (although a lot of people I know would say that was an improvement??!). The restore was good and I now have the iconz back, but I have just had a look and the bruddie favorites are still AWOL? I hate PCs, after 18 years mending mainframes for IBM, I hate PCs. They are about as user friendly as a cornered RAT!!! Software was not even a starting point for me never mind a strong point... We have almost the same favorites on our tower PC so I will take them from there, oh how I hate PCs. Bills charity work should start with 'Help the Aged', the comodes.

John.

P.S. I can't remember if I said, but I hate PCs.[:'(]

Archived