Complete France Forum

[8-)]Please can someone help me!!!

My daughter has sent me a video, via e-mail,  of my new grandson and I am unable to play it!! The Media player thingy (!) comes up with a box that says 'Unable to download Appropriate Decompressor - Error Code 80040200'

I have had a look on the Microsoft website but can't get anything from it although I did try reconfiguring my security settingsd as suggested, but that was no help.!

Answers in words of one sylaible only pse as I am NOT a computer buff.!!

Please help as I want to have a peek a James!!

Does the file name end in any of the following:

.mpg, .mpeg, .m1v, .mp2, .mp3, .mpa, .mpe, mpv2

All of these should be supported by Windows Mediaplayer.  But if you have Quicktime or Realplayer installed try playing the video on those first before we try to fix Mediaplayer.

I.m still here ......just!!!

Spent 8 hours yesterday on our dial up connection trying to sort this out and then gave up!!. It appears that we are unable to play MPEG4 clips on our system!!. Spoke to daughter on the phone and it transpires that she took the clip on her phone, transferred it to her computer and then e-mailed it to us. She is unable to change the format to something that we can view - so we will just have to wait until next week when we are going to see our glorious grandson in  the flesh!!

thank you all for you help and advice - I am now going to lie down down in a dark room!!

By the way - what has happended to the weather? We bought a large paddling pool thing a couple of weeks agao and it hasn't been warm enough to try it out yet!!!

here is another link http://www.leadtools.com/rd/codecs/MPEG4Encoder.exe not so big a file size, so should come over dial up in 10 - 15 minutes maybe. It is an encoder and decoder (codec) for mpeg4 files...

it is a shareware evaluation so no need to pay..

Haven't tried this software but  the other one (in the post above) worked for me. it should allow media payer or another player to play the file.

Danny

Archived