Complete France Forum

ADSL and free.fr

Hopefully, I will have broadband connection here in Haute-Vienne by mid October (I won't hold my breath). I have spoken to some people who say they have had free.fr for over a year now and it is great paying just 30.00€/month with free phone calls worldwide included. Sounds good! Has anyone had any experience of free.fr and if that's not the best, any good alternative? The one bad point I have heard bandied around is that their connection speed is low. Can you advise, please?

check out www.degrouptest.com you can tap in your number and see whats service is available cost speed etc free is good in the big towns but may be poor in the country it will depend where the nearest receiver mast thingy is lots of money beeing spent here topromotebroadband and new isps thedegroup siteshould give info on availabilty as theisps start to fight for customers so the offers will get better.

Ive had it a couple of months and no complaints, but then again i've never been able to get ADSL before (here and UK) so I'm happy with anything other than dail up.

Click the link above to see how long your line is, if its less than 5km you should be ok and the shorter your line the better speeds you will get.

Saved us a few quid on phone calls.

i had free.com  adsl working for a week.

3 days ago the phone connected to the back of the freebox also started working, but if i go to check my free account  - Consommation téléphonique  (mois en cours)

or Consommation de préselection (mois en cours)  they both says:

Pas de consommation téléphonique disponible

why is this happening? how can i be sure my calls are really free?

also, what is the difference between consummation telephonique and de preselection??

thanks

[quote user="BJSLIV"]The calls from the back of  the Freebox will be free using the ADSL connection. The preselection calls will be the ones made from your normal phone plugged into the old phone sockets and these are normally chargeable.[/quote]

ok thanks,

for the preselections calls, will i be charged by free of by FT?

Assuming that you signed a mandat de preselection when you signed up with Free, all your chargeable calls will now be billed by Free. This arrangement is also sometimes known as Degroupement Partielle. Preselection means that you have chosen to have your calls automatically routed by an alternative operator rather than FT, instead of using a code such as 1899 before each call that was not to be handled by FT.

You will still get a bill from FT which will only show a rental charge.

If you had opted for Degroupment Totale, if available,  then you would not even get a line rental bill from FT. A problem with this arrangement is that with some operators all your calls come via the Freebox, not very handy if you have heating or alarm monitoring over the phone!

• 2 weeks later...
[quote user="Leslauriers"] Consommation de préselection (mois en cours)  they both says:

Pas de consommation téléphonique disponible

Calls appear to be shown after a delay of 3 days.

[/quote]

after 3 weeks i still cant see any call on my consummation... why it that?

by the way, Free charged my twice this month! once for the new ADSL and once for the old 50 hours dial up service! i called them (on the 0,34€/min line!!!) and they told me i have to send them a letter with proof of recipt (another 4€!) asking for the refund.

so remember to check your bank statements if you swap from dialup to adsl.

We've been with Free for a few months now, no complaints.  The link given above is mainly to test for dégroupement options, though it will tell you what connection speed is theoretically possible on your phone line.

If you want to know all the options available (you may not be in a dégroupement area) try this site instead - works the same way.

Test ADSL eligibility and options

We are not in a dégroupement area.  To get free calls we have to have our phone plugged into the modem so they go through Free.  But the phone must be plugged into the France Telecom socket to receive calls on the old FT number.  If we phone out with it still plugged into the FT socket then we get charged by FT at their standard tariff.

Archived