Complete France Forum

paging TimB48 re second computer on router

Tim, I tried everything you suggested, but still haven't got the second computer on the adsl connection,  not even with a cable:

one end pf utp cable in router, the other in PC2 (PC 2 is old, has Win ME and no built in socket for a network cable, but I got a usb connection bit for it).

Lights on router says PC2 is connectef.

Lights on usb connector are on.

No connection thought, no internet.

As I have dhcp disabled I assigned both computers an ip-number 192.168.2.2 and 192.168.2.3, gateway 192.168.2.1

Can you see where I go wrong?

This is another Tim!

You don't need an IP address for the WinME computer if you are using the USB connection on that computer.

Don't know what router you are using but you will need to install the software for the USB connection on this computer. It is normally best to install the software BEFORE you connect the USB cable to the router. So, if you haven't installed the software I would suggest that you disconnect the cable, install the software and when it is finished, plug the cable in. Hopefully it will now find the router and all should be well.

I wonder why you have disabled DHCP? I find it is normally best to have it enabled unless there is a very good reason not to.

Hope that helps

Tim (the other one!)

[quote user="Kalyn Computers"]

This is another Tim!

You don't need an IP address for the WinME computer if you are using the USB connection on that computer.

Don't know what router you are using but you will need to install the software for the USB connection on this computer. It is normally best to install the software BEFORE you connect the USB cable to the router. So, if you haven't installed the software I would suggest that you disconnect the cable, install the software and when it is finished, plug the cable in. Hopefully it will now find the router and all should be well.

I wonder why you have disabled DHCP? I find it is normally best to have it enabled unless there is a very good reason not to.

Hope that helps

Tim (the other one!)

[/quote]

Thanks, other Tim! I am using a Belkin router connected to a thomson speedtouch modem that is providing the adsl connection. I am nervous about installing the Belkin softare on the Win ME computer (PC2) because my husband needs it to work on (using a dial in Compuserve connection) and I don't want to mess that up. (see my message second pc (Win ME!) on adsl connection on this forum)

I have disabled DHCP because the connection seems much more stable with a static ip address.

I did install the routers software on my computer (PC1) and had it recognize the modem through my computer. Surely that is done now and need not be done on de Win ME as well?

My reasoning as to why this is not logical: one should protect the wifi router for otherwise people may use it to get online through your connection (ans possibly do all sorts of nasty things). The hypotheical hackers don't have the routers software on their pc's so why should our PC2 need it installed?

If you say it is absolutely necessary to install the routers software on PC2, I will try it, but very nervously.

Archived