Complete France Forum

Withholding outgoing numbers

[quote user="nicktrollope"]

How do I withold my outgoing number on FT? I don't want liste rouge or whatever, I just want to do it occasionally (like when I 'phone $ky!). Rather like #131 (or whatever) on BT.

[/quote]

Nick, even when withholding your number in France, the information received in the UK will be dependent on the recipients provider, but at the very least will display as an International call. So I would advice caution if you ring SKY or any other company who you do not want  to know it is an International call.

After discussions with BT in the UK, they have confirmed that their caller identification display for International calls only shows "International" while some other providers  show the complete number if not withheld.

Baz

If we are phoning Sky & they say anything about it being from an international number, we just say we have a cheap call system & that the calls go via the cheapest route, which is normally via a foreign country. We've been OK so far. So use the 3651 & if they say anything, you could use that as the reason.

If you bought a Tesco Internet phone you could choose from various places in Britain for your phone number.

Our number starts with 0161, ie Manchester.  I presume that that is what the receiving number will see.

The cost is £10 plus £5 delivery to France and you have £5 call credit included.   They then send you the phone, which plugs into a USB Port and the installation disc.   The only problem is that their system will not accept payment with a UK Credit card registered to a French address, so someone in the UK needs to order it for you.

If you use Skype they should not know where the hell you are phoning from and phoning the U.K. is 1.7 centimes/min. Have a look at www.skype.com it gives all the details. All you need is a microphone and the speakers on your PC, but an internet phone works better. They are not toooo dear either. Phoning to someone on another PC anywhere in the world is free for however long you want too...

You could almost certainly use the Tesco phone with Skype and you can top up your credit here with a French card.

Unless you are going through a proxy server somewhere your IP address will identify what country your are calling from and people like Skype use that info (as, when I used to use SkypeOut to my employer in the UK they always knew it was me calling from info displayed with the call). Don't know about Tesco phones, etc. but Skype certainly do something with regards to the country you are calling from. With Skype it is not affected by your personal details configuration (i.e. the country you configure there) as I have removed all such info from my "Personal configuration". Similarly, it is not affected by SkypeIn as I have no SkypeIn account. Only thing left is your IP address.

Ian

Archived