Complete France Forum

Best Internet and cheap telephone deals.

Can anyone assist me please, moving down near to Bergerac at the end of this month having brought a property there.

Have got the basic telephone line sorted out from French Telecom to start within a day or so of moving in, they have also designated me a new telephone number for the house.

The new line isn't going to be opened until the 1st or 2nd of November so in the meantime I am looking for a good ISP and also for cheap to/from UK phone call services, these do not have to be linked up.

I use a BT Voyager 2100 Router-Modem in UK as we run a PC and two laptops, mine and my better halfs, I do believe that FT will be supplying a modem? are these any good? would still like to run the wireless connection around the house just as I do here.

Can anyone advise who is providing a decent service and back up for unlimited internet access. As it seems quite usual to sign up for a 12 or 24 month period, I would hate to get locked into something that doesn't perform very well.

I am having the telephone line connected and ADSL enabled, or so they said. I got this all done through my Estate Agent who has been invaluable in all of this as I do not speak much French as yet.

With family still in UK there are a number of reduced rate telephone suppliers offering reduced call rates for both UK to France by an O8 number and reduced call to UK from a French number. 

Looking for ones that actually do work well and give value for money.

Many thanks.

More2Learn.

From a telephone perspective, the "best deal" depends on you patterns of use. Will you be spending all day making a local call to your neighbour or will you just be making the occasional call to Costa Rica. If so, when, etc. The best deal is very much down to how and when you use the phone.

As far as ADSL is concerned then what is on offer will again depend on where you are located. Not all ISPs provide services in all areas. Even then, not all ISPs providing a service will provide all rates and functionality in your area. When you ADSL line is "enabled" it will be patched to a specific ISP. This is done in the exchange and can only be organised by the ISP when you ask them to provide you services. As you say your ADSL is being enabled I think you have already made your choice. Virtually every ADSL ISP contract is a min 12 month deal to you may find you cannot change your mind about who provides your internet connection for some time. All depends on who you selected and on what basis.

In terms of UK calling you in France you could get an 0844/0845 number (for free) but even though its "local rate", there are cheaper ways for UK to call France without accounts and without pre-payment. again, depends if you are being called by a few friends who can program in prefix numbers as they are calling you a lot or if its a lot of different prospective customers.

Ian

Archived