Complete France Forum

French anti-ADSL Association

There is such an association.  But I can't find it and desperately need to put some friends onto it.

Free is the main offender but F.Telecom/Wanadoo are also guilty of a similar situation.

Essentially, I signed the friends up to Free.  Everyone was happy when the box arrived and having put in their phone number (& the neighbours) on the Free site we were SURE that ADSL was available.

Hooking up the box, ADSL wasn't available, after ENDLESS calls (and a lot of expense) to Free from me to explain the situation and the friends had a 'certified' technician out to see what the problem was; we found out that ADSL didn't go down the lane where the house was.

They sent the Free box back to Free (I'd rather call them 'Expensive'!) via 'accuse de reception' in late June, the card was sent back from Free's offices.  Free are CONTINUING to bill them for a service that NEVER existed and now they don't even have the box/wifi card/Free paraphanelia either!

Can anyone tell me of the name of this association that exists?  I met another customer in France Telecom who was telling me about it (he'd had the same problem), stupidly I forgot to ask it's name. 

Thanks

Kira

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "ADSL didn't go down the lane to where the house was ".  If there is a phone line to the house and the house is situated within the ADSL operating range of your nearest telephone exchange, then FT would enable ADSL for your friend's phone line.  Was your "certified technician" from FT or someone out of pages-jaunes? 

It seems that Free are billing your friends for the service they requested, but your friends haven't been able to get their phone line configured yet in order to access their Free account. Perhaps a call to FT to establish the status of the line would be helpful, given that your friends would rather have a working ADSL connection....

There's ADSL coverage in the village but it doesn't extend to the lane in question.  France Telecom (without going down the lane but from a PC screen) say that it does exist, the Free technician says it doesn't - I'm inclined to believe the technician, especially when the neighbours couldn't get ADSL either.

Been to FT, done that ... ranted, raved, pleaded, begged, got nowhere

Now need to join the ranks of the French who are also in similar circumstances - the friends in question are French but live abroad, hence why I'm chasing this for them!

Kira

Hi Kira, if you go to this site   http://www.agence.francetelecom.com/mx/?tp=php&donnee_appel=FTASN&IDCible=1&type=1&code_rubrique=5-301527&id=172561161089224   you can enter the phone number anddept number and it will tell you if ti's possible to get ADSL there. May save some problems.

There may also be other difficulties. Where we live FT say 1 meg is available, but Neuf recon 1/2 meg is the fastest?

Edit  ;  If the link doesn't work, copy and paste it...

Archived