Complete France Forum

Networking PCs

I have a desktop and a laptop PC. Both are running XP with the d/top on Pro and the l/top on Home.

I am trying to network them through a Livebox.

Both are connected by ethernet cables to the Livebox. Easily done by going into the configuration pages and changing the 'TV over ALSD' from 'enable' to 'disable'. This gives you 2 ethernet connections.

I am running Mcafee Total protection and did the initial network through their set up proceedure, but I only had partial connection. I was able to use the printer and get into some of the files from the laptop to the desktop.

So I have gone through the Microsoft Network Setup Wizard on both PCs.

The laptop can still only see certain folders on the desktop and can use the printer on the desktop. So nothing changed.

I have 2 HDDs on the desktop, 'C' & 'E'. The laptop can access the folders and open files on the 'E' drive, but not on the 'C' drive (root drive). All the folders have been changed to share on both drives, as have the drives themselves.

The HDD and folders have been set to share on the laptop, but I can't get into any of the folders from the desktop even though some of them are shown on it.

The error message says :-

\\Laptop (or desktop)\folder name on desktop (or laptop) is not accesible. You might not have permission ti use this network resorce. Contact the admin of this server to find out if you have access permissions

On the desktop -- The network path was not found. And the laptop -- Access is denied.

If I wasn't grey then I would certainly be well on my way with this one. Anyone with any ideas please!!!? Sorry it's a bit long winded..

Since I first posted this I have also tried to share the CD writer, 'F' and the DVD writer 'D' on the desktop. The CD writer shows, but the DVD doesn't? Oh how I love PCs??

Archived