Complete France Forum

Jean de Florette is on tonight

Just as well it was on last night, as I tried to watch the DVD that had arrived from Amazon the day before, and it was unplayable.

I'd seen it before, but was tempted by the low prices to order Jean de Florette, Manon des Sources, La Gloire de Mon Père and La Château de Ma Mère, as they are among my favourite films.

The follow up to J de F, Manon des Sources, is on the same channel next Monday night.

The story Jean de Florette written by Marcel Pagnol lies deep in the heart of French culture, along with stories by Emile Zola. Both writers illustrate beautifully the twin poles of human existence within which we all inhabit. Goodness and Evil. Somewhere between those two poles lies all human life.

Whenever I meet a French Paysanne, I look deep into their eyes and wonder where on the scale of those two poles they are. It may be a very simple request such as permission to graze animals on your land, seeking to question a right of way across your land or making a request to cut your hay every year. “Beware of Greeks bearing gifts”.

I think of Pagnol and Zola’s books as a back drop to my own French life, a sort of guide to living in rural France. Zola wrote a wonderful book called La Terre. Like Pagnol it is a road map to understanding life in France which is still relevant today.

[quote user="Logan"]The story Jean de Florette written by Marcel Pagnol lies deep in the heart of French culture, along with stories by Emile Zola. Both writers illustrate beautifully the twin poles of human existence within which we all inhabit. Goodness and Evil. Somewhere between those two poles lies all human life. Whenever I meet a French Paysanne, I look deep into their eyes and wonder where on the scale of those two poles they are. It may be a very simple request such as permission to graze animals on your land, seeking to question a right of way across your land or making a request to cut your hay every year. “Beware of Greeks bearing gifts”. I think of Pagnol and Zola’s books as a back drop to my own French life, a sort of guide to living in rural France. Zola wrote a wonderful book called La Terre. Like Pagnol it is a road map to understanding life in France which is still relevant today.

[/quote]

Did you read these in French or translated?

I tried reading Pagnol's or Sagan's books in English, thinking I would be able to relate to them as I know it in French, but they became totally alien.

Same with English books or films translated or dubbed... I cannot bear to watch a French movie in English or an English language one in French!

Quite frustrating when we have my French or his English
relatives around!

I have a collection of these books in French and English and have read them in both languages many times. A translation does loose the essence of the original. I have never read any English classic in French but I assume it's the same effect. The film of Jean de Florette retains the flavour the Pagnol book so richly evokes. If you ask me which French author I prefer then Zola I think is unsurpassed.

Gosh, you're right cooperlola.  I've just checked their website, and I would have saved myself £1.21 on the total price of the DVDs and a further £3.05 on delivery. Making a total saving of £4.26.

I will add it to my favourites, thanks [:)]

I concur about Play.com. I use them extensively for my DVD purchases.

Most items delivered quickly, but do allow up to 15 days though, as they sometimes use quite convoluted post routes! The order part of their website allows you to query any item undelivered but not until 15 days have elapsed.

Very good follow-up in case of problem (only twice in 3 years, all satisfactorily resolved)

Having just read andyh4's post about "This item is only available in the UK", I've successfully placed another DVD order with them

Re books in original language, I've bought some thrillers in French for the gite, which I had in Amerenglish (Dan Brown, Tom Clancy, Michael Crighton) but I cannot read them either!

My sister says I'm being pretentious!!

PS: would you read Bill Bryson in any other than the original language???

[quote user="Clair"]

Did you read these in French or translated?

I tried reading Pagnol's or Sagan's books in English, thinking I would be able to relate to them as I know it in French, but they became totally alien.

Same with English books or films translated or dubbed... I cannot bear to watch a French movie in English or an English language one in French!

Quite frustrating when we have my French or his English
relatives around! [/quote]

This is a subject dear to my heart, Clair, as I have been a professional literary translator for many years now.  My belief is that you can't "translate" literature but need to "adapt" it so that it reads as if it was written in the new language.  I think that many times translations try to translate the words and not the spirit of what the author was trying to say and finish up sounding like a really bad VCR manual.

In 2004 we put out a new "adaptation" of "Phantom of the Opera," which was the first unabridged edition in English.  The original translation had huge chunks of text removed, which seriously hurt the book, in my opinion. I specifically wanted to do that novel because it is one of my favorites and I don't know how anyone ever managed to read it in English. The original edition (which was the only translation available for about 80 years) was so turgid that it should have been prescribed as a sleeping aid!  I'm pleased to say that several reviews of our edition of "Phantom" have said it should now be considered the definitive translation.

PG

[quote user="PossumGirl"]...The original edition (which was the only translation available for about 80 years) was so turgid that it should have been prescribed as a sleeping aid![/quote]

Any copy available? I could do with a chemical-free sleeping aid!

I've read somewhere that the Harry Potter...Phœnix book is some 150 pages longer in French than in English, as the French language is not a concise as the English language...

[quote user="andyh4"]

Just tried buying from play - once I got to the order bit it said "This item is only available in the UK" - on all 3 items!!

I think they may have cottoned on that export postage is more than in the UK [:(

[/quote]Sorry, was going to point out your mistake then realised you'd already figured this one out. They are very efficient but their computer system does seem to be so security minded that paying can be quite fun at times!  They also sell books (in English only).

[quote user="Clair"]

Any copy available? I could do with a chemical-free sleeping aid!

I've read somewhere that the Harry Potter...Phœnix book is some 150 pages longer in French than in English, as the French language is not a concise as the English language...

[/quote]

I'm sure that version is still out there!

It's much easier for us when we translate French BD into English, because we almost never have to worry about the size of the balloons!  It almost always takes more words to say something in French than it does in English.  Although, there are a few cases where it's the other way 'round; but that's pretty rare.

PG

Archived