Complete France Forum

I've just done a silly thing

Hello

Whilst trying to expand a website, I thought I would reduce the task bar at the bottom of my screen.  Now when I hover over it the hour glass doofer comes up and I can't find a way to get back my task bar with clock and other stuff.

Can anybody please help?

Thankyou

Thank you for your replies.  I think my computer is on its last legs as it keeps on throwing wobblies.  I couldn't turn it off last night as the start key had dissapeared, so I ended up doing a control Alt delete and that brought the task bar bak up.

I'm still on windows 98 and my PC is about 7 years old, we are in the process of saving for a new one, so I can have Skype and speak with my friends for free.

Sounds like Windows Explorer has "locked-up" (gone "not responding").

If you have a Windows Task Manager (XP - use Ctrl+Alt+Del, then press the "task manager" button - allowing you to start task manager without needing explorer), then kill Windows Explorer. It will "hiccup" a bit (desktop will disappear) but it will restart after a few moments. Depending on what you have in you application tray (icons in the task bar, normally bottom right), you may lose a few but they will come back when you next re-start.

If you do not have task manager (non-XP) then best thing is to re-start. Close as much as you can down before Ctrl+Alt+Del.

It happens sometimes. If you have "always-on" network connections, it is a lot worse is you log-on whilst the computer is still starting. Windows allows you to log-on as early as it can (makes it look like its started quickly), but if you are too quick then (Windows) Explorer can be a but unreliable. Always best to wait to log-on until the disk activity has gone quiet.

Ian

Archived