Complete France Forum

TV and DVD in France...

Hi all

I see from the threads that I've read that there are some very knowledgable people here.  Perhaps someone can help?

Through a long and complicated history, I have an Irish portable TV and want to lend it and my UK DVD player to my sister who is moving to France for 6 mths.  I know that UK TVs don't work in Ireland, but Irish ones work here in the UK.  But will either/both work in France?

If not, what is the cheapest way to get a TV and DVD for short term use in France?  Do Carrefour or similar do cheap TV/DVD players (Tesco do them here for about £70).

Thanks for any advice,

JC

If all is wanted is to watch DVD's then you can take the system to France and it'll be fine.  The problems start when you plug in an aerial and try to watch French TV itself.

The reason UK originated TV's don't work in (many parts of) Ireland is because many of them do not cover VHF Band III which is still extensively used in Ireland.   Both countries use system I with PAL colour.

France uses system L with SECAM colour.  A lot of anglo saxon sets won't do this but an increasing number do so worth just checking the spec in the manual.   If your set will switch over you might have to do some adjusting in the menus;  but it probably simply will not be possible.

If French TV is needed then you can buy in France - as stated above - a cheap colour set.  This will by definition work with system L and you can still  plug the existing DVD player in using the SCART connectors between both machines - this connection obviates the system problems, and ALL French TV's nowadays cope with PAL colour as well as the SECAM in use for analogue TV broadcasts.

[quote user="JC"]

Thank you all, that's a great help. 

Ok, first stop is to the hypermarket to pick up a cheap telly/DVD and a dictionary to be able to follow the programmes!

JC

[/quote]

There is an EU law obliging all manufacturers who import/sell within the EU area to provided instruction books in every principal EU language. Most do except in France. If you e mail the company they will send you an instruction book in English/Irish!!

[quote user="Logan"][quote user="JC"]

Thank you all, that's a great help. 

Ok, first stop is to the hypermarket to pick up a cheap telly/DVD and a dictionary to be able to follow the programmes!

JC

[/quote]

There is an EU law obliging all manufacturers who import/sell within the EU area to provided instruction books in every principal EU language. Most do except in France. If you e mail the company they will send you an instruction book in English/Irish!!

[/quote]I think it's the programmes he wants the translation for.  Assuming he's a chap, why would he need instructions?[:D]  Apologies for the sexism, guys.

Archived