Complete France Forum

Sky Boxes : One for Martin

One of the most frustrating aspects of satelite TV is the fact that, without Sky Plus, you cannot watch one channel and record another.  If I had two Sky boxes, could I run them both off the same dish and pick up two different channels? (The TV supports 4 inputs so that's not a problem.)

Put it much better than I could have - but somewhat like you I have a bog standard dish with a dual o/p LNB.   Works fine.

I have never had Sky + but I have a feeling that it relies on being connected to a phone line anyway (not possible to configure correctly in France)?   Or is that sky multiroom....?

[quote user="Clair"]I am not Martin, but I have recently purchased a new Sky dish with 4 LNB, which allows me to view a Sky channel with one receiver, whilst taping another Sky channel though another receiver linked to a video recorder.
This is where I bought it from and I highly recommend them.[/quote]

With an avatar like that, I'll forgive you for not being Martin!  And thanks for the info'.

[quote user="Clair"][quote user="cooperlola"] 

With an avatar like that, I'll forgive you for not being Martin!  And thanks for the info'.

[/quote]

Caterham 7, 1982, Ford Mexico 1600 crossflow, twin webers... no longer in our possession unfortunately...
[/quote]Shame.  Worse, the Moggie in mine doesn't belong to me!  However, that is me in the passenger seat zooming up the pit straight on the morning of the 2002 24 hours.[:D]

[quote user="cooperlola"]Shame.  Worse, the Moggie in mine doesn't belong to me!  However, that is me in the passenger seat zooming up the pit straight on the morning of the 2002 24 hours.[:D][/quote]

This picture was taken at Goodwood Motor Racing circuit, near where we used to live. We attended the Goodwood Revival Weekend and the Goodwood Festival of Speed every year from day 1 until we moved to France.

We also drove the Caterham to Le Mans... very very tight!! but brilliant!

We did drive (part of) the circuit too on the Thursday before the race before they close the road part to traffic! Great fun, great atmosphere and fantastic reception by the roadside crowds!

cooperola.

With most new deals from Sky one is required to have a UK phone line connected to the box for a period of a year, even when upgrading an existing service. (After that it doesn't seem to matter.)

I moved location in the UK some 15 months ago and it was cheaper to upgrade to a Sky+ box on a revised contract and have a free installation and new dish than to have Sky supply and fit a new dish for my old box. I have brought the box to France and expect to get it connected up in the next week or so. Still unpacking boxes so it's not the highest priority right now.

The Sky+ set up is a dish with two LNB's feeding the box. We found the viewing one programme while recording another very handy. I understand that you can in theory record two channels on Sky at the same time while watching a third terrestial channel if your connected to an aerial. The freeze and recommence facility is great for those phone calls right in the middle of something interesting or that cup of tea during a long film. If you connected two LNB's to two seperate boxes you would need to have two cards,  one for each box or use one box for the free channels only. They wouldn't have the hard disk that allows the recording of programmes.

More2Learn.

Thanks for everybody's input.  I have a hard drive on my DVD recorder so don't need that.  Also, I only have the freeview channels so the cost of the extra card isn't an issue.  I am interested in the non-sky box though - anything to avoid paying Mr Murdoch any money - ChezShells.  Perhaps you could PM me?

Archived