Complete France Forum

I've just had a pop up window offering me a Java 5.0 Update 9 Available.

The title of the window is Ready to Download - Java (TM) Update.

It says in the window Java 5.0 Update 9 Available includes features and fixes to accelerate your Java applications as well as updates to keep Java secure.

Being non techy this wording doesn't seem quite right and I've no idea if I've got any Java applications or not.

Any advice please?

Benjamin

[quote user="Benjamin"]I've just had a pop up window offering me a Java 5.0 Update 9 Available.

The title of the window is Ready to Download - Java (TM) Update.

It says in the window Java 5.0 Update 9 Available includes features and fixes to accelerate your Java applications as well as updates to keep Java secure.

Being non techy this wording doesn't seem quite right and I've no idea if I've got any Java applications or not.

Any advice please?

Benjamin
[/quote]

Start/Control Panel/Classic view or Start/Add or Remove Programs should show you if you have Java installed.

You can also go to the Java website http://www.java.com/en/ and check the downloads page http://www.java.com/en/download/index.jsp to get the latest version of Java.

It's rather unlikely that you don't have some version of Java installed if you visit a lot of websites.

Control Panel/ Add/Remove Programs shows nothing listed under Java.

Visiting the Java website shows that  Version 5.0 Update 9 is the latest version available. The mention on the site of applets being written in Java is probably where this update is coming from. The suprising thing is that I've never been offered a Java update before in 18 months of being connected.

Thanks for your help and quick response. I've declined the update until tomorrow so I'll accept it then.

Benjamin

Archived