Complete France Forum

What are presse-papiers?

I've just changed to Version Whatever-it-is of Internet Explorer.   But I can't cut and paste an http link any more!   I get a message saying:

"Voulez-vous autoriser l'accès de cette page Web aux presse-papiers?    Si vous l'autorisez, cette page Web pourra accéder aux press-papiers et lire les informations récemment coupées ou copiées."

Can someone explain what it means, please?

Merci bocoo! 

I knew that having a French computer with French Windows, Word etc would come in handy one day.

'Presse-papiers' is what is known in the English version as the 'Clipboard'. It's just asking if you want to allow the web page to access your clipboard, i.e. the bit of memory where you store what you cut or copy, so that you can paste it elsewhere.

I suppose it is asking you the question because there might be a security issue - but for all normal purposes you can agree to it. Can't say I'd noticed it in my IE7, but as yet I only have that on one of the four computers I normally use (France, England, laptop and office in case anybody is wondering why I'm enough of a sad git to need four)

The issue is where the web site is accessing your clipboard. Thus, it will only happen where the "control" you are pasting into handles the paste operation. It is actually quite an important security feature as I have on one occasion found a web site that repeatedly started trying to take data from the clipboard. As I did not know what it had just put in the clipboard I did not allow it and after closing the tab, informed the site operators they had been hijacked.

If you don't like it you can disable it using the security settings for the zone you are browsing in (i.e. in the Options dialog, "Security" tab, almost certainly the "Internet zone", then "Custome Level ...", then towards the bottom "Scripting" section and ""Disable" the "Allow programmatic clipboard access".

Ian

Archived