Complete France Forum

Programme won`t start up

[quote user="cheryla"]

The new computer doesn`t seem to have a restart button and `cont, alt, del`didn`t have any effect. I hated clicking the mains switch off and on but I couldn`t think of any alternative. Was there?

[/quote]

Cheryla

I had this trouble with the PC I am currently using.  On this model, I found you have to press and hold in the ON switch on the processor unit (i.e. the one you press to power-up the computer in the first place).  I have to hold it in for several seconds until the computer switches itself off.  Then restart as normal.
On my restarting it, the computer chides me sternly with a panel saying "You didn't turn me off properly," or words to that effect, and insists on running ScanDisk before it will finish loading Windows.

Angela

[quote user="Wozza"]

Gary

Great advice - I have a French PC running on Windows XP and I manage to get by installing most software, but do you happen to know what 'system restore' is in French PC Speak?

Warren

[/quote]

This post reminded me of something I want to ask the computer gurus before I buy a PC in France:

I remember that when I got my (US) laptop and set it up the 1st time, one of the first things I had to do was to choose the language for the operating system.  When you set up a French-bought PC with WinXP software, do you not get the option to choose English?  Or is the MS software that's marketed in France too different from the English or US software?

Maybe I'll just get another US laptop and leave that in France.

Thanks for that tip Loiseau - it seems less harsh than cutting the power!

Cathy, I`ve looked for Outils dÀdministration, but haven`t got it (I think). I tried Outils Systeme, then Informations Systeme, but didn`t know what to do then (if anything). I also looked at Outils & Aide from the programmes, but there didn`t seem to be anything there useful.

I`ve now restored the computer back to November and taken out both the camera and printer software, but the reinstalled card creator still won`t open.

I ought to just leave it in the drawer and forget it, but it`s driving me mad - I just can`t help having another go!

Cheryl

[quote user="cheryla"]

Cathy, I`ve looked for Outils dÀdministration, but haven`t got it (I think). I tried Outils Systeme, then Informations Systeme, but didn`t know what to do then (if anything). I also looked at Outils & Aide from the programmes, but there didn`t seem to be anything there useful.

[/quote]

You could try searching for it, if you type "Observateur d'événements" into the search function on the start menu it should find it for you.

I emailed the maker of the programme which won`t start and received a reply from them (although it was unfortunately in German!). They say that it`s more than likely our anti-virus programme which is conflicting with their programme, so yet another reason to replace the Norton Security with AVG Free. Hopefully that will resolve it as the programme worked on the old computerwhich had AVG.

Many thanks for all the replies and suggestions.

Cheryl

Archived