Complete France Forum

analogue satellite receiver

Provided you hook up using Scart leads the only problem you may have is colour (or rather lack of it).

Certainly some older Sony's do NOT do SECAM colour (but mine is 25 years old so maybe that's an unfair comparison).

The only way to find out is to try;  if you have a problem then you can either buy a transcoder,  or better value get hold of a DVD recorder and use that as part of the link;  Philips recorders certainly transcode,  but some DVD recorders (such as the excellent Panasonic range) do not.

[quote user="Dc"]

tv and receiver have scart option. Have set up, but as suspected picture is in black and white even though tv 9 years old. What next ??

dc

[/quote]

Analogue satellite receivers do not produce RGB (seperate colour signals, as produced by a digital receiver). They only produce composite video, which is the same as the video standard that they receive (SECAM in France). Your TV obviously does not work with SECAM (it is PAL-only, built in Wales, I'd guess).

Forget transcoding. Good ones are expensive, cheap ones are useless. Change to a digital receiver - in any event, it will cost you less than virtually any other solution.

[quote user="Dc"]

tv and receiver have scart option. Have set up, but as suspected picture is in black and white even though tv 9 years old. What next ??

dc

[/quote]

Nick beat me to it, but I would use it as something to keep the door open with...........................

[quote user="Dc"]

Which digital receiver??????

dc

[/quote]

Doesn't matter - all DVB receivers are basically the same. If you want to receive UK FTV progs (Ch4 & 5, etc) then you will need a $ky digibox (and a £20 card)- which is probably the best/cheapest solution if all you want is UK telly.

If you want French TV (I think that was your original intention - I can't look at the top posting whilst typing this!), then go to your local BricoDepot, BUT, Castorama or wherever & buyt he first DVB receiver that takes your fancy, or take up Chezshells offer (I'd negotiate the price a bit, as a matter of princiapl, tho'!)

& my "G" key & spacebar are buggered....

OK, having posted, gone to the top posting and edited this, I shall leave my comments about UK TV in, but I suggest that you ignore them.....

Bear in mind that if dc just wants to watch the national channels (ie doesn't want to subscirbe) then a digital receiver bought at this stage may be a bad investment;  the AB3 FTA digital feed of France 2 -5 etc may well disappear within a year when the final TNT multiplex is activated.   The France 2 -5 are (with one exception) scrambled on Hotbird and Astra 1 and need a sub.

The recommendation would be better to WAIT until the details of the TNT via satellite system are finalised (they were due by CHristmas but have been delayed three months).   You will (when it's finalised) shortly be able to purchase a one off payment card (provided you have a French address) and receiver which will get TNT off AB3 digitally,  so no colour probs.   But the transmissions will be FTV scrambled,  hence the need for a card.

And I did earlier state that a suitable DVD recorder will transcode to colour at no extra cost other than the recorder itself.  Check the spec in the shop first though.

[quote user="Dick Smith"]Fishtank?[/quote]

Not like you to miss a word Dick.

"Haunted Fishtank"[:D]???

We gave our 9 year-ish old TV away before we came over and just bought a new one here. We only watch French TV and very little of that. It's much more reliable and as has been said probably cheaper too...

Archived