Complete France Forum

UK Digital TV's in France?

We are moving out next month and are considering buying a new TV before we move. There are quite a few that have Secam as well as PAL, so System standards should not be a problem, however most of the latest TV's have a built in digital encoder. The question is, will the digital UK standard be the same as that adopted in France?

Regs

BobD

Sorry if I didnt make the original posting clear. I have no expectations of receiving UK digital signals in France, not in 47 anyway. I just didnt want to spend money on a UK set that could not receive local digital signals. I already have a sky digibox at the ready to bring out. We have a similar setup in Spain and know that a 80cm dish should be fine in Lot & Garonne. 

The bottom line then is that a UK "digital" TV should be OK for French digital as reported by June.

Regs

BobD

You should be OK;  the only UK DTT stuff that WON'T work in France is the original generation of OnDigital boxes,  because they will only handle 2k symboling and the French use 8k.   As far as I know all post OnDigital boxes do 8k,  and need so to do as at DSO (digital switch over) in the UK some of the networks will use it in order to benefit from SFN working (single frequency networks).

But in general the advice is always to buy a TV in the country in which you plan to use it;  certainly plasmas are fussy to transport (should be upright at all times).....   and by definition if bought in France it will work in France.....

Archived