Complete France Forum

green adsl phone cable

Hi

Please could you help me solve a small problem with my new Alicebox modem.  My phone point is situated a fair distance from my computer & the green cable that came with the modem is too short to reach from my telephone point to the modem.  I have searched the internet for a green cable extension that is long enough, but to no avail.  Do I need to use this special cable or will a normal beige phone cable work equally as well?

Thanks in anticipation of a reply

herbets87

If you have an ordinary extension, try it and see.

Don't forget that as Alice is a wireless modem it doesn't have to be next to the computer. Depending on your lifestyle you may find it handier to have your phone plugged into the box somewhere other than by the PC.

Hi all

Thanks for your replies - especially liked the 'Smokey' reference - are we showing our ages here?

I will try the normal extension cable & let you know how I get on.  For the wireless modem to work do I need something special set up on my PC - it's a really old laptop (1999)  running on Windows ME & I doubt it is set up for wireless.  Is it just a simple case of downloading some software or do I need a new component fitted?  Please could you let me know.

Regards

herbets87

I believe that you will need a wireless adaptor, which can be obtained at most computer shops. You can get ones that plug into a spare usb port ( probably on the back as its an old laptop ) or card versions which will fit the PCMCIA slot. That latter would ( was ) my choice.

Archived