Complete France Forum

new Freesat like Freeview ?

This was all planned back in 2005 but was shelved,  probably whilst negotiations with manufacturers took place.

In practice if you already have a receiver you won't notice any difference,  save for the fact that it's likely that a separate non-Sky controlled electronic programme guide will be set up which will be compatible with non-Sky boxes (although maybe not ones already around).

As the BBC and ITV are already free to air it's not really going to make any real difference to that.   The intriguing possibility is that other channels (some) may be persuaded out of the clutches of Sky to join the BBC/ITV FTA bouquet.   Now that would be nice.

I have feesat from Sky its cost is only a one off payment of £20 to buy the viewing card to put in my redundent Skybox. It has all the same channels plus alot more than freeview and it works in France.

We take it with us, its fairly easy to tune to the satalite (if you have the right gear) and bring it home again![:)]

Chipie

[quote user="oglefakes"]   what exactly do you need?

[/quote]

I have a redundent skybox (model no BSKYB 2600C1) which I understand is excellent for France and Spain and are very sort after by expats and caravaners!

Viewing card from Sky : £20

TV

Portable satalite dish : £100 from Caravan shop

Satalite compass: from ebay

Satalite finder: from ebay

Several scart / conector leads: from ebay / caravan shop

Small generator for use untill we get the electricity connected!

When I bought the sat finder and compass I was given excellent instructions and found it quite easy to set up. Last year we just used it for the caravan, but we will set it up in the new house next time we go and may be put up the proper dish after we find out if we need permission

Chipie

[quote user="Aeb"]How do I get a viewing card?[/quote]

Go to www.freesatfromsky.co.uk.

You will see that most of the site is trying to persuade you to buy the complete pakage of box, dish etc, but tucked away in the Q&A section you will see:
'All you need to get access to the free channels available on the digital satellite platform is a freesat viewing card which costs just £20.'

[quote user="Chipie"][quote user="oglefakes"]   what exactly do you need?

[/quote]

Portable satalite dish : £100 from Caravan shop

Satalite compass: from ebay

Satalite finder: from ebay

Several scart / conector leads: from ebay / caravan shop

[/quote]

Wow that is expensive. I bought a complete portable kit (dish plus suction mount, receiver, lnb, compass, cable, connectors) in a neat carrying case for 75 euros, the only extra was my sat finder (with meter, lights, sound) for 12 euros.  I think I  might get some more and put them on ebay!

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"]Wow that is expensive. I bought a complete portable kit (dish plus suction mount, receiver, lnb, compass, cable, connectors) in a neat carrying case for 75 euros, the only extra was my sat finder (with meter, lights, sound) for 12 euros.  I think I  might get some more and put them on ebay![/quote]

[:(]

Some you win some you lose,  I was in a hurry so I didn't shop around! not sure if I'd have found it for around £50 anyway! Sounds a good deal  to me.

Chipie

Archived