Complete France Forum

We are thinking of setting up a live web cam so's the kids back home can link direct to us at any time (and see what Grandma and Grandad are up to!) We also want to to use it as a remote security device. Anybody know of any links to site to explain how it's done?

Cheers

If you just buy a cheap €30 webcam and are using Widoze XP, it will automatically work with programs like Skype and MSN. Once you plug the webcam into a USB port it will be recognised.

I would not advise using one if you are on dialup as the bandwidth used for images is wider than that used for speech, so you may find that the sound quality degrades.

Now this is just spooky.  On the way in to work this morning I was thinking just the same thing.  Setting up a webcam is dead easy, just use MSN messenger or Skype.  I was thinking of going one further and setting up a VPN to a little PC in the house with maybe several webcams so I could look at it anytime I want from anywhere in the world.  Of course the PC would be in hibernate mode with wakeup-on-LAN so would consume very little power.  A further thought would be to have a UPS to cope with the sometimes fragile electric supply.  It's possible to re-boot remotely I believe but I don't know how and anyway UPS is cheap these days

Perfectly possible to do this but don't forget that they will need a power source for each one so maybe easier just to run USB cables into a hub.  You might want to arrange to send the pictures to another server say every 30 seconds and have a camera trained on the PC too. Some numbnut thief was caught like this in the UK last year when he was peering directly into the lens.

I think if you want steaming video you need a server to cope with the bandwidth if you want to present the images therough a web page the most common approach is to take snapshots and updte the page every 5 mins for security instalations - you could google video streaming providers ? but will cost I think...  here is some reading which might help...

http://www.commercialnetworkservices.com/streamingmedia/howtosetupawebcam.htm

If you have broadband then what you want is an IP Camera.

This will plug directly into a router and work totally independant of a PC and will be accessible worldwide from any web browser. It will of course need it's own power supply.

Many come with Pan & Tilt assemblies enabling you to fully enjoy those wonderful views from your French veranda from the derary gloom of your office.

Here are a couple of appetisers:

http://www.ipcctvcameras.co.uk/

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ICAM-IP-camera-Build-Server/dp/B000G7P728

You get the picture..............boom boom!

Archived