Complete France Forum

Is it possible to get an Internet connection through your tv?

without having a phone line, I am kitting out an apartment for rental use right now and providing internet access would be an extra box ticked, obviously I wouldnt want payg due to potential for abuse and neither do I want to commit to taking a monthly phone contract.

Is their another option through satellite tv or similiar or is a phone line always a prerequisite?

thanks in advance

[quote user="bb72"]

without having a phone line, I am kitting out an apartment for rental use right now and providing internet access would be an extra box ticked, obviously I wouldnt want payg due to potential for abuse and neither do I want to commit to taking a monthly phone contract.

Is their another option through satellite tv or similiar or is a phone line always a prerequisite?

[/quote]

Are you in an area where there is cable TV? If so, then you may be able to get cable internet for around 20€/month for a decent speed - 10-15€/month for a slow service. If not, and you don't have a telephone line, then to all intents and purposes you can't get internet access. For pedants, OK, yes you can, via Satellite, but bear in mind that most systems that people think of as being "satellite internet" actually only RECEIVE (ie download) via the satellite dish - the upload side is usually done via telephone line (because in general, normal internet users download far more than they upload). The satellite systems that allow you to upload via a satellite uplink are RUINOUSLY expensive - not least because you need to have a transmitter to beam a signal up to the satellite. The only other ways would be effectively using  a mobile phone internet service - again not in the least bit cheap,  or piggy-backing off someone else's WIFI.

Pickles

Archived