Complete France Forum

Important! FunWebProducts Detection and Removal

the image for my avatar is on my own webserver, so every time it's accessed there is a note in the log file (I've got excessive logging turned on as it's a new instllation!).

I've noticed some of the forum members have FunWebProducts installed - it's a spyware/adware program.

If you go to the following site it will tell you if you have it and how to remove it:

http://www.liamdelahunty.com/tips/fun_web_products.php

I saw the messages in my httpd logs, so looked it up.

From the page (URL in previous message):

"I noticed more and more users arriving on my server with FunWebProducts in the User Agent, log example below, so I decided to look into it. It appears to be a piece of Adware / Spyware which they deny. It hi-jacks your browser with little warning, and doesn't allow you to easily remove it or change the default settings it insists upon. That in my book is spyware.

Spyware impairs users control over material changes that affect their user experience, privacy or system security; use of their system resources, including what programs are installed on their computers; or collection, use and distribution of their personal or otherwise sensitive information.

Amongst other things FunWebProducts may change your default search engine to MyWebSearch, and it may install a toolbar. You get a "Search Assistant" for when you mistype a URL. You can install it by "upgrading" your smileys in various messengers, cursors for windows, screensavers etc."

from another site (google is my friend!):

"FunWebProducts is another one of the million or so hijackware/adware/spyware toolbars that users unknowingly install on their computer. The interesting thing about these guys is they infected a very large percentage of the Internet's users very quickly. And now that I know what they are, I recall seeing their banner ads all over the place (including yahoo.com)."

Archived