Complete France Forum

I can no longer click on a link in an email and

make it open in a browser window. The arrow changes to a hand when I hover over or click on the link but nothing more happens.

In a fit of spring cleaning my computer I have obviously clicked to disallow something somewhere and I can't remember where I have been and what I have done. Can anyone think of anything that might help me to return this handy tool to how it was before?

Many thanks

Sue [8-)]

No, that is fine. I think I have 'fiddled' with a security option somewhere in Internet Options and it is having this effect. On the one hand it means my emails are very secure but on the other the result is annoying. But altogether my own fault for meddling - that'll teach me!

Sue

[quote user="Russethouse"] There's a pretty good chance that we are changing over to a wireless connection in the next couple of days - as Captain Oates said 'I may be sometime'...................................[8-)][8-)][/quote]

I am trying to learn about that as I would like to become unwired with my laptop, but the security aspects of wireless frighten me. Nevermind the terminology - a completely alien language. And even more chance for me to mess up my computer ... oh dear. [8-)]

Sue

[quote user="Spg"]

make it open in a browser window. The arrow changes to a hand when I hover over or click on the link but nothing more happens.

In a fit of spring cleaning my computer I have obviously clicked to disallow something somewhere and I can't remember where I have been and what I have done. Can anyone think of anything that might help me to return this handy tool to how it was before?

Many thanks

Sue [8-)]

What program are you using for your email?

[/quote]

Hi

I'm using Calypso - the old form of Courier; but I don't feel that is the problem as I checked all avenues there. I'm no longer sure it is a security problem either. 

I'm guessing here but after thinking about it overnight I feel Orange comes into the equation. The original adsl set up was done for me by my neighbour - as I had no idea about adsl at all - with the Orange/Livebox CD via a USB connection. The links in emails opened in 'navigateur orange'. As I grew to hate the Orange software more and more I uninstalled it and re-connected via an ethernet cable. Now the links in emails don't open at all. It seems to me that if I can re-establish a link to IE then all will be well. But I have no idea how to do that. Has anyone any ideas?

Sue

[quote user="Spg"]

Hi

I'm using Calypso - the old form of Courier; but I don't feel that is the problem as I checked all avenues there. I'm no longer sure it is a security problem either. 

I'm guessing here but after thinking about it overnight I feel Orange comes into the equation. The original adsl set up was done for me by my neighbour - as I had no idea about adsl at all - with the Orange/Livebox CD via a USB connection. The links in emails opened in 'navigateur orange'. As I grew to hate the Orange software more and more I uninstalled it and re-connected via an ethernet cable. Now the links in emails don't open at all. It seems to me that if I can re-establish a link to IE then all will be well. But I have no idea how to do that. Has anyone any ideas?

Sue

[/quote]

You may well be right, although when I dumped my Orange software, it didn't affect my email.  But I use OE.  Sorry, I don't know anything about Calypso or Courier.

[quote user="Spg"]

Hi

I'm using Calypso - the old form of Courier; but I don't feel that is the problem as I checked all avenues there.....................................................As I grew to hate the Orange software more and more I uninstalled it and re-connected via an ethernet cable. Now the links in emails don't open at all. It seems to me that if I can re-establish a link to IE then all will be well. But I have no idea how to do that. Has anyone any ideas?

Sue

[/quote]

I know nothing about Calypso, but a couple of things you could try.  I also feel sure that the removal of the Orange software is responsible so now you need to establish the links again.  Suggestion would be to try to re-install Calypso over the top, if there is an installation routine.  This may very well re-establish the links.  You have IE (vers?), just check in Internet Properties, Programs tab and see which ones it is linking to from there, I doubt this last point will fix the immediate problem, but would probably cause another problem later in reverse. Having done all that a reboot just might work.  If this fails and assuming you have all the relevant backups and setup info, my next thought would be along the same lines, but removing Calypso completely then reinstall.

Hope this is of some help, frustrating aren't they.

Archived