Complete France Forum

using two laptops with same adsl???

[quote user="Ab"]I DO NOT HAVE WIRELESS  AND WOULD LIKE TO USE BOTH IF POSSIBLE IN CASE OF PROBLEMS WITH CURRENT LAPTOP.[/quote]You could set up a network between the two computers.  You can buy little USB devices which allow them chat without physically connecting them.

[quote user="Ab"]I DO NOT HAVE WIRELESS  AND WOULD LIKE TO USE BOTH IF POSSIBLE IN CASE OF PROBLEMS WITH CURRENT LAPTOP.[/quote]

even if you don't have wireless, you probably can have two wired connections into the modem. It depends on the model of modem( box) you have and how many ethernet or usb slots there are. Do you know which modem you are using. What does the manual say?

Danny

[quote user="Ab"]I DO NOT HAVE WIRELESS  AND WOULD LIKE TO USE BOTH IF POSSIBLE IN CASE OF PROBLEMS WITH CURRENT LAPTOP.[/quote]

Do you want to use both laptops simultaneously (in which case you need some kind of network) or alternately (i.e., you just want to log onto your ADSL connection at least once to make sure it will function as a backup when you need it)?

Throw away the modem and buy a Netgear 834 modem/router. This will be connected to the web 24/7 and will have all the passwords etc to stay connected. You then just need wireless cards for the laptops and a CAT5 cable for the desktop. This way you cna have many computers connected and using the internet at the same time.

I have one PC hard wired and two wireless ones here and there are no passworeds to put in and they can all be on the web at once.

I have a ADSL modem as supplied by neuf.fr -modelCT-361 and it has socket for tel. line and one spare  larger one for a LAN-LINK  whatever that is-i am not technical with computers and only use for family link to uk and banking etc.

If i set up my other computer with same passwords can i plug it in when i have a problem with my new one.that is my simple question -i do not want to lose my connection etc.

thanks.

At the moment we have 2 laptops both connected at the same time via ethernet cables to our Livebox, which has 2 ethernet sockets one red and one yellow.  We can both be internet connected at the same time, both sharing our 1.2 meg connection and both receiving about 1.055 meg.

Sue

Ab, as you say you have an ADSL modem. This is a device to plug into a PC and access the internet. What you do not have is a modem/router. The router bit allows more PCs to access the internet. I assume that the modem plugs into a USB port, but does not have a router built in. For 60 or so euros you can buy a modem router and have all your problems sorted.

[quote user="Ab"]

I have a ADSL modem as supplied by neuf.fr -modelCT-361 and it has socket for tel. line and one spare  larger one for a LAN-LINK  whatever that is-i am not technical with computers and only use for family link to uk and banking etc.

If i set up my other computer with same passwords can i plug it in when i have a problem with my new one.that is my simple question -i do not want to lose my connection etc.

thanks.

[/quote]

Yes!

Archived