Complete France Forum

Hi have been off air for some little time and due to the severe storm that was experience in our area last Monday morning.  Apparently due to a melange of circumstances including low cloud mist and a 'blockage' so the storm was continually evolving and was basically centered upon Percy Villebaudon Le Chefresne and Montabot.  It was scary.  It lasted for over three hours and the stories are legend.

Will not go into any detail as to our problems but FT were involved and there is a prise de terre with them on our line and we had all sorts of protection for our PC but it came down the FT line and hit everything.  We indeed lost our oven (new) and this despite our wiring being completely updated just a year ago.

The electrician came and we now have in the electrical circuit a parafoudre and a couper generale plus a disjoncteur.

However and whilst this storm was very rare and the last time was over fifteen years ago we now are going for belts and bracers and are thinking about a parafoudre for the house itself and similar to what happens on Church spires.  Apparently the best place in a storm is nearer to a church for its the highest point around.

We live on the highest point around!

Does anyone have direct experience please and how we organise a parafoudre on the house itself so that if it is hit it goes to earth toute suite.  We have on the edge of our property an EDF pole and there is a metal strip running down to the earth.  Is this what we need on our house and if so who does it please a builder or an electrician.  Finally our neighbour who lost his phone for over three days was saying he was going to get a giroflette and that I think was my interpretation (my French is not so good) of what he was saying.

Help guidance and suport please is called for.

Having "only" lost a computer on New Years Eve (in Devon) from a lightning strike you have my every sympathy for a far worse disaster.

I don't know about lightning conductors in detail (althouh I think there is established practice on the subject) I don't actually see how much use it's going to be for stopping incoming surges via FT or the mains.    Obviously it "wards" off local strikes by draining away the charge on ionised air molecules,  but if the surge is coming via en electrical conductor.....?

Maybe I've misunderstood....

Archived