Complete France Forum

Telephone not receiving calls after changing to Phonexpat

A week or so ago I changed my ISP from Cegetel to Phonexpat. I have a Philips Magic-box phone/fax/answering machine (bought in France).In their set-up guide, Phonexpat state that some telephones do not give the France Telecom tone and it is necessary to dial ## and then the number you require. This is what my phone evidently requires and is not too much of a hassle for me.

Yesterday a friend visited and mentioned that he had been trying to telephone me but after a couple of rings, he permanently got the engaged signal. He used his mobile phone to show me exactly what happened, and no, my telephone did not ring. He said he would ring via landline from his house at exactly 1900hrs and also send me a confirmation email that he had done so. At 1920hrs I checked, and yes, he had phoned but was unable to connect as before. I had been sitiing next to the phone, and it did not ring at all.

I have contacted Phonexpat to see if they can offer an explanation (or solution) and am awaiting an answer, but wondered if in fact anyone else has had this problem?

Not as yet because I don't have a spare phone and don't want to spend money on one that may or may not work. I'm trying to borrow one from a neighbour and if it works, will purchase one.

This is the first problem I've had with the Philips in the 7 years I've had it. Worked fine with Cegetel.

Archived