Complete France Forum

Anything that reduces spaghetti junction around my PC is great. I had to replace my keyboard and mouse and this time bought a wireless version which is excellent.

Now I have sorted out everything I am left with just one small problem which I hope someone can solve. The screen saver and turn off monitor no longer works. I have checked all the settings in screen saver monitor in the control panel, however there is a sleep button on my new keyboard that partially turns off the PC and breaks my ADSL link. My only concern with the the sleep mode is that I have predetermined times for certain checks such as AVG check at 10am will this no longer work as the computer is in sleep mode. Also is there anyway to get the screen saver to work again or does the wireless keyboard over ride this option.

Baz

The updates won't work when the computer's asleep but you'll get a prompt from AVG to say that it's out of date and you should check in - that's what happens to me if my pc is turned off at up-date time.

Screesavers- if you have an LCD monitor, I was advised not to use a screensaver but to change the settings for the screen so that it turns off when it's been dormant for a pre-determined number of minutes.  The person who sold me the monitor told me this as he said the screensaver shortened the life of the monitor as it prevents the switch-off from happening.  Anybody else heard this?

My wireless keyboard does not prevent me from using a screensaver if I wish, so can't help at all on that one.

Many thanks for your prompt reply.

I have solved the problem with microsoft technical telephone help line, there was a conflict in the configaration which has been corrected and all is working well.

Baz

Just a note on screensavers.

The name aptly describes the function. Old style CRT monitors could suffer severe screen burn if left displaying the same static image for an appreciable length of time hence the concept of a moving image to prevent it.

LCD displays on the other hand do not suffer from this phenomenon so a screensaver serves no useful purpose however, to dispel Cooperlola's misinformation, no harm whatsoever will come from using one if you so wish.

Archived