Complete France Forum

ADSL filters????

I'm sure it's been answered, but I searched and cound not find the answer.

We have just got ADSl in our village (only 1mb :( ) and I've just signed up online with Orange. In the U.K. years ago we need a filter pluged into the phone point and then pluged the modem and phone into it. Is it the same here? If so I will be off to the shops Monday afternoon.

Thanks in advance.

[quote user="Richard-R"]I've just signed up online with Orange. [/quote]

If you are intending to rent or buy the Orange Livebox package then 2 filters should be included by default in the pack you will receive - which is what we got.

Sue

Edit: that Ron beat me to it, by the merest fraction of a second! [:)]

[quote user="sid"]

You only get the filters if you take the Livebox.

Sid 

No, where we are the line speed is limited to 1meg and Orange supplied a small USB powered modem, not a live box. They did, however still supply two filters. When I upgraded my system to a Netgear router/modem, I got yet another filter with that as well.

[/quote]

[quote user="Timco"][quote user="sid"]

Sid 

No, where we are the line speed is limited to 1meg and Orange supplied a small USB powered modem, not a live box. They did, however still supply two filters. When I upgraded my system to a Netgear router/modem, I got yet another filter with that as well.

That is correct Tim, if you opt for the hard wired modem option , (you don't have to have the Livebox) when Orange upgrade you to ADSL, you get two filters, one for the modem connection, the other for another phone socket, of course if you have a phone on that socket as we do you do not need the filter or if you have three or more phone outlets you can as somebody else said buy these in the shops quite cheaply.

[/quote][/quote]

BUT  if you use a Netgear ADSL router like I do (or any other make you may have brought with you from UK or purchased here in France) you don't necessarily get any filters with them.

SO the answer to the question   [quote user="Richard-R"]  In the U.K. years ago we need a filter pluged into the phone point and then pluged the modem and phone into it. Is it the same here? [/quote]

is YES!! And if you don't get the filters with your chosen kit you'll have to go out and buy some!

Why don't people read the question? [:@]

Sid

Well, I'm sorry Sid - I thought that I had, as the original questioner, Richard-R, said that he had ordered Orange ADSL and did he need filters?  I replied that the filters were supplied with the Orange kit - normally two. I replied in this way so to let him know not to rush out quite yet to buy the required filters as he should get some from Orange.

IF you use a Netgear ADSL router like I do  ........  and IF your auntie had bollocks she would be your uncle.

Which  bit of "and I've just signed up online with Orange." didn't you read/undersrtand/comprehend  Sid?

Lighten up Sid,  everybody who has replied is only trying to help the OP why get rude???

By the way I used a netgear dongle and router with orange for a seconnd PC and it was crap, if you want the dongle thing you can have it.  The orange modem by sagem is far superior and only costs 1€ when you subscribe to Orange.[:D]

[quote user="Timco"][quote user="sid"]

Sid 

[/quote][/quote]

I'm thinking about getting a Netgear router/modem and ditching my Orange modem (which has always had software conflicts with my system).  Can you tell me precisely what settings info I need to have (other than our login and password) in order to connect via Netgear instead of the modem? 

Any help would be very much appreciated.  I've used a Netgear router in the US, but an ISP tech support guy (my hero) guided me through the manual setup procedure.  I'd prefer to set the connection up manually as I've heard people often have problems with the setup "wizard".

Well, I was quite happy with the little Wanadoo modem, but I wanted to hook up two computers to my net connection and it was not easily done - there was only two sockets, one for the USB to the pc and the other for the 'phone line, so a router/modem seemd to be the easiest way.

I went to the local Darty and got hold of a Netgear - I think it's the 834 model - it's downstairs at the moment so I can't see it. I followed the instructions fairly closely, they were in English as well as French and with my settings sheet from Wandoo/Orange got the thing going in about five or ten minutes. As far as I can remember, that was it. I've recently been sorting out a friend's laptop and hooked that up to the Netgear through the wi-fi and that worked very well too.

Hope that gives you some encouragement to go for it.

Regards - Tim

Timco

The OP ordered an ADSL service from Orange, which is what I have, but he didn't say he'd ordered any kit. I got a 2mega service but declined to take their modem as I had my own. He just asked whether filters would be required.

I completely endorse your encouragement to this user to connect using Netgear kit. It would have to be an ADSL router and I think you must have the same as me a DG834. I agree that connecting first time was very straightforward provided that you follow the clear instructions. As with many bits of kit it does matter in which sequence you load the CD and connect the cables. As you've already stated all the information required is supplied with the Wanadoo (Orange) welcome pack. The only slight hiccup for a new user might be knowing exactly when the ADSL service has been activated!

Sid

Absolutely Sid - I remember when the post lady delivered my first little Wanadoo modem - I rushed downstairs and had it all connected and software loaded on the machine in 15 minutes flat, only to come crashing down when it didn't work. A weekend in England was enough time to have the kit installed at the local exchange activated and it was working within minutes of me arriving back here in France.

You're also correct - the loading of the software and plugging in at the right time is critical.

Archived