Complete France Forum

What cable to use?

Hi my other half is planning to run some cables upstairs for future TV points in France and would like to know what cable he should use. The points would be either for satellite TV or French TV (or both), so does he have to run ordinary co-ax or Satellite cable ? Will satellite cable do both? Help!

Broadly it depends what he is trying to do.  If he wants a point in each room where he can plug in a digibox and the person can watch the same channel as the main digibox then he can get away with one cable.  If he wants to be able to put a second digibox in in another room and have that box available to watch a film while the other box is tuned to Football then he will need a multi headed LNB and one cable per box all the way to the dish.

Technically two runs of satellite cable will work.  It is a pretty complex subject and it is probably worth spending the money on the E-book 'Piping TV round the House' from 'Satcure'   www.satcure.co.uk  if you want more than say an extra point in one bedroom upstairs.

[quote user="Bannon"]Anton, have you got shares in Satcure?[/quote]

No - if I had I would feel compelled to announce it. I have bought perhaps Pounds 100 of equipment and e books over the years from them. Perhaps of third of my knowledge of Digital Satellite TV is derived from them , a good part of the balance from "D.J.Stephenson" - ISBN 0 - 7506 - 3475-8  " Guide To Satellite TV " . I do not like ripping them off by reproducing things I have learnt from the site over the years. Equally as I now live in France I am unlikely to buy much kit from them in the future. I rather like the style of moderation on their site . The site also has the lowest ratio of male cattle import export to hard fact that I have met on the internet.

Without getting into the intricities of what points you want in what room, I can say that if it's just co-axial cable you need, I've helped several people out with satellite installations and extention points and used the 100 metre reels of co-ax from Leclerc and M.Bricolage with no problems - so far!!

Well, the answer was quite simple really ! Today he pulled a ordinary TV coaxial cable and a satellite cable down the same 20mm gaine and so he can have the choice when it comes to actually putting on the points. he said he may put a double box in the wall and have one outlet for Uk satellite TV using the satellite cable and the other outlet from a TV aerial for receiving the free French digital TNT channels as our existing lounge set up. By the way I've no idea what he is talking about as he is dictating this behind me as I type!

Thanks for all replies 

In answer to your initial question, fundamentally all TV coax's are the same it's just a question of quality or how "lossy" they are, i.e. how much signal you lose over a given length of cable at a given frequency. Unsurprisingly the cost of the different types of coax rises almost exponentially as the losses go down ! 

For standard TV reception the cheap stuff is usually perfectly adequate but for a satellite installation it is utterly useless.

What your OH has done sounds like a reasonable cost effective solution for the stated objectives.

Archived