Complete France Forum

Configuring Netgear Modem/Router to connect with Orange

I'm getting ready to order the Netgear 834 modem/router and, non-techie that I am, have been reading the setup manuals to try to figure out what I'll need to do in order to make my Orange ADSL connection.

According to Netgear, I may need the following info:

1. Host and Domain Names

2. ISP Login Name and Password

3. ISP Domain Name Server (DNS) Addresses

4. Fixed IP Address, which is also known as the Static IP Address

I have my Login Name and Password, and I'm not going to use a Static IP Address, but I'm not exactly sure what they mean by:

Host and Domain Name (at least one of them is Orange, but which?)

ISP DNS Addresses

Can anyone tell me how to get those 2 pieces of configuration information?  Preferably in a way that does not involve conversation (in French) with Orange tech support?

I would be extremely grateful for help with this.

You should have a bit of A4 paper from Orange which has all the information needed on it. You can use the setup disc that comes with the 834, or open your browser and use the IP address 192.168.0.1 to put the info in.It takes about 10 minutes to get it going.

[quote user="Bob T"]You should have a bit of A4 paper from Orange which has all the information needed on it. You can use the setup disc that comes with the 834, or open your browser and use the IP address 192.168.0.1 to put the info in.It takes about 10 minutes to get it going.
[/quote]

My bit of paper says:

DNS:   Choisissez l'option par défaut de votre navigateur

Domaine:   wanadoo.fr

Somehow I don't think that will work.   

Just a small point on  Netgear modem. I have a DG834v2 which works very well - except! It won't transmit through the half metre stone walls in our old country house. I don't know if there's a later version which is better for this use.

[quote user="Barkham"]   Just a small point on  Netgear modem. I have a DG834v2 which works very well - except! It won't transmit through the half metre stone walls in our old country house. I don't know if there's a later version which is better for this use.
[/quote]

Thanks for the warning.  Fortunately, for my purposes, range is not an issue.  I'm getting it for stability (get to dump my flaky Sagem modem) and the added protection of a hardware firewall.  I may even connect via ethernet cable.

Archived