Complete France Forum

PREMIERSHIP FOOTBALL - TPS

Staying in a hotel yesterday I turned on the TV to see Man U v West Ham. Ididn't know that the Premiership was broadcast in France. I would like to know: (1)  if this is a regular feature of TPS; (2) how do you receive TPS and (3) Is it a subscription channel?

Many thanks.

Patrick

TPS and Canal+ have merged and are now called New canalsat.

They offer several types of packages (bouquets) from €20.90 up to €57.90 per month.

Unlike a Sky subscription, the monthly rental is not all inclusive and only pays for the channels.

You also have to pay a security deposit of €75 or €115 for the receiver (terminal ) depending on the model, monthly rental (location du terminal ) at €8 and an access fee (frais d'accès) of €40, and of course your installation fee... Tey have a special offer on at the moment (they always have a special offer of one type or another!)

Current details here: https://media.canal-plus.com/file/97/8/58978.pdf

The history of UK football (on which I am not an expert!) broadcast by TPS results from the commercial competition between Canalsatellite and TPS.

In much the same way that OnDigital (some years ago) bought the rights to a set of matches that were not that sought after,  TPS bought up the rights to broadcast UK football in France after they lost out on the bidding for the French football rights

Whilst competition can be beneficial for the satellite subscriber,  it also drove up the prices bid to such outfits as those organising football.    Whilst it is a pity that TPS and Canalsatellite are merging (subs will go up and the range of programming is already diminishing) it will - I hope - reduce the amount of money going into football's pocket.

Sorry,  that's a bit cynical.  I'm not out to annoy anybody with this post,   just how a non--fanantic sees the situation.

But that's how it came about - I have no idea what will happen next season - sorry.

Archived