Complete France Forum

TNT via satellite to be available only via Canalsat

Danny kindly contacted me off list a few days ago about the following,  and sadly his sources have proved correct,  so it's with regret that I pass on the news that the scheme to provide a duplicate of the TNT services via the Atlantic Bird 3 satellite  (which I have mentioned on here over the last year) has been abandoned.

All is not lost because something very similar is being provided via Canalsatellite on Astra 1,  but at a GREATLY increased cost to the punter.  Although there will be no ongoing subscription,  the cost of the receiver is expected to be nearer €200 than the €50 proposed by the AB3 backers,  and it doesn't at the moment look as though one will be able to opt to buy the card on its own for insertion into one's own receiving gear.

It's a big disappointment as the Canalsat offer is likely to have various ongoing "inducements" to sign up for a sub even though it's not necessary,  and it puts the broadcaster into a much too powerful position (in a similar way to how Sky were too powerful when they were the encrypters of the BBC's signals).

A very sad announcement.

Archived