Complete France Forum

Does anyone have suggestions regarding the cheapest way of using a British mobile while visiting?  I have seen ads for the 0044 roaming card, but is this better than buying a French sim for my phone?

Any information on the cost of cards and calls gratefully received.

Thanks

Palfers

I’d say a lot depends on where you are going to phone and who is going to phone you, and how much you will use your mobile.

If most of your calls are going to be to and from the UK, a UK network SIM with the network’s international traveller package may be best.

Take O2 for example.  For £10 per month as and when you need it on a contract or PAYG, “My Europe Extra” gives you outgoing calls to landline or mobile phones in Europe for 25p per minute and incoming calls FREE.  The only restriction is that the total of incoming and outgoing calls is limited to 1000 minutes per month – plenty for most!

Vodafone has “Passport” which allows you to use your UK minutes subject to a 75p call connection charge.  Incoming calls up to 1 hour cost just the 75p connection charge.  To get these rates you have to opt in to “Passport” and make sure your mobile roams on SFR otherwise you’ll pay a lot more!

With a UK mobile, you’ll need to make sure you have plenty of credit before travelling although you could leave a top up card with a friend in the UK and ask them to buy credit for you when needed.

0044 who you mention seems expensive?  £35 for the SIM card, then calls to UK 47 ppm and France 35 ppm - much more expensive than O2.  OK text messages are cheaper.

If most of your calls are going to be within France and you expect French people to call your mobile, a French PAYG SIM may be best although your friends in UK wont be too keen on calling a foreign mobile.  Remember you have use up the credit or lose it with the French networks.

In summary, there isn’t a “one size fits all” answer – it very much depends on your usage.  I suggest you have a look at the network’s websites and compare their rates for your anticipate usage.

Archived