Complete France Forum

Cut off from the world!

Two separate problems (I think). Listening to the cricket on Radio 4 via satellite it suddenly packed up. Oh well, I thought I'll listen on the internet - connection down! It was a strange feeling being so completely cut off from everything. The fault with the satellite seems to be that it packs up after being on for about 40 minutes or so. As far as the internet[ADSL]is concerned it seems to be ok in the morning and then goes off in the afternoon, generally for the rest of the day.

Has anyone got any ideas about either or both?I would be most grateful for some advice.

Patrick

Well, without more details it's difficult to say - what type of satellite box are you using is a start?

As far as the internet is concerned it may well be that you are in position of suffering from congestion on the local network. When it's quiet you have no problems but later in the day - when more users are on line - you are having to share. there are a couple of sites you can visit, when you can get a connection, that may give you some more information.

http://www.internetfrog.com/mypc/speedtest/

http://speedtest.net/

Thanks for that Timco. The satellite box is a Technomate TM 1500. This box is about two years old - should last longer surely?

As for the internet, I suspected it might be heavy traffic, but if I'm paying to have a service 24/7 should the ISP not be obliged to provide it?

Patrick

The Technomate is a wonderfully "versatile" box isn't it.   Certainly needs to be kept cool,  and make sure you're on the new BBC Radio frequencies - I haven't checked if the old ones are off already but if you haven't done a rescan then now's the time.  (11954 MHz,  H,  2/3)

Does sound more like - as Anton says - an overheating problem.

Archived