Complete France Forum

Phone engaged all the time.

Today I had a new package and live box from Orange. It states free phone calls to UK. Some friends came around to help me plug everything back in at home. I couldn't do it. Unfortunatley if I try to phone anyone I get an engaged tone. I don't think we have it plugged in correctly. Sorry for the correct lack of technical terms.

Hi

It might be you have the same problem as us. We use a Neuf box. It seems that when the calls have to go thought a "live box" there is a problem. It could be your line is not good enoght. What speed broadband do you get? If only 512 then i think, that might be the problem, and i think your stuck with it.

Sorry

nich

Are you certain the service has been activated.   Sometimes the box arrives before the paperwork,   and I'm sure that on some packages you need to get the internet ADSL working and then go to the website concerned and "activate" the phone system.

We have Club Internet,  and the activation process is automatic (at least it was for us).    But I'm not sure the same applies to Orange.

Does your ADSL internet access work yet?

I am sorry I didn't explain myself well. My Live Box broke, so I had it replaced, and took up the option to have some free calls every month for a extra 10 euros. My internet works, but not my phone. Today is makes no noise. I think it has been connected incorrectly here as at the moment it is just like it was before. I have so many wires, I have got in a stress, so now I don't know what to do. Thank you 

So have you ditched France Telecom rental or not?

Where is the phone plugged in?   To get the free calls it needs to be plugged in to the appropriate socket on the Livebox.   To be honest it's difficult to see how it could be wired up wrong as the structure of the plugs and sockets makes it difticlt to make a mistake.   Is the "silence" via the Livebox or on the main phone sockets in the house?

I'm not the best person to aks about all this but am hoping that others with more experience will join the discussion.

Good luck anyway!

I hope this will give you a starting point...

Based on my Neuf set-up (with no FT subscription):

• phone into Neufbox
  • ADSL filter into Neufbox
  • main telephone point into ADSL filter
  • computer into Neufbox
  • Neufbox to mains

Mooky.

there is lots of info about how to set up your livebox on this site and again on this page

I am presuming that your phone is plugged in to the livebox and that all the cables are in the right place. You can access all the livebox settings (including the telephone) by clicking on this link http://192.168.1.1/ 

if you are asked for a login name and password, try admin and admin

click on the menu "mes services" then "Téléphonie par ADSL" and then make sure it says "activé". If not click on the "acceder" button to change the settings

after you have changed any setting you will need to find "sauver" or "sauvegarge" to keep the settings.

If the telephone still doesn't work there must be another problem

It is a bit strange that you say you "took up the option to have some free calls every month for a extra 10 euros". I am sure that this is only for free calls to France. If you want the free calls to Europe,USA etc etc you must pay an extra 7 euros pm. Maybe this has something to do with it...

hope this is of use

Danny

Archived