Complete France Forum

We are using Teleconnect's ADSL connection with a wireless set up. We have been having problems with the modem - it keeps switching itself on and off - probably because the wind it blowing in the wrong direction !!!!!. When I am having trouble connecting to the internet via IE I can still access Google Earth - does that mean I am connected to the Internet ?? As you may have gathered I am not computer savvy so all suggestions gratefully received. 

[quote user="Mayennaise"]We are using Teleconnect's ADSL connection with a wireless set up. We have been having problems with the modem - it keeps switching itself on and off - probably because the wind it blowing in the wrong direction !!!!!. When I am having trouble connecting to the internet via IE I can still access Google Earth - does that mean I am connected to the Internet ?? As you may have gathered I am not computer savvy so all suggestions gratefully received. [/quote]

Well, as Tenniswitch suggested, it would be useful to know whether you have had IE7 working ok up to now, or has this problem just appeared. Did you use IE6 before - was that ok? Have you tried to connect to the internet via the cable connection rather than wireless - if so, was this any better?  If not, I would try to get your ADSL provider to sort out your connection. Over the years I have found it better to sort out one problem at a time and an 'iffy' connection won't help matters.

Tim

You could try loading up the Firefox browser.

Its a  free download and generally reckoned to be better than IE and not so prone to attacks from nasties.

If Firefox works OK, then it would point to IE7 being a problem.

If Firefox has problems as well then it could well be your connection.

Hope this helps

[quote user="Mayennaise"]I am continually having trouble connecting to the Internet via IE 7. Anyone any ideas pse?[/quote]

Yes, throw away IE7.

When Di (a MicroSoft partner) bought her new Dell and began loading software IE7 killed the machine. The advice of Dell's Tech Support, having helped bring it back to life, was "do not use IE7".

John

and

Archived